Sunday, January 14, 2024

1/14-Not Adiós, Pero Hasta Luego!

Today we had our final lunch with Ally and Alex at Viva la Pepa. They fly out tonight for Buenos Aíres (home). This was my dessert. 

I had to get this because it was called Crepes banana, crema con baño de chocolate. Baño??? I was curious to see what I would get. Would there be a little toilet of chocolate??? Clearly, no little toilet. Ally said it meant bathed in chocolate. Well, okay…would have been fun to have a tiny little toilet bowl for the chocolate…just sayin’. 

After lunch, we said our “not-goodbyes”. I’m sure I will see them again. Ally and I already have a plan to do a ride in Oregon together. 

I had a chat with a guy who asked about my bike. His English wasn’t great, and my Spanish is even worse, but we managed!

Alex and Markus wanted to go straight to the Supermercado. I wanted to go to the Reserve to see if I could see the flamingos up close. And, I wanted to go to the El Calafate sign. 

Not wanting to ride on the main road that we’ve been on many times, I rode over a block. I may have ridden the wrong way on a one way street…but I rode by a golf course, and a fancy hotel. How one plays golf in this wind is beyond me!

Once I got to the promenade, the wind was incredibly strong! Still, there were a number of people attempting to bike. I saw a bunch of horses, and the flamingos were in the water, but still far away. 



Still too far. 

I finally made it to the El Calafate sign. 

There’s unloaded Billy. 

At one point when I was riding to the sign, a wind gust was so strong, I thought my Buff had blown off. But then I realized it was just my hair blowing. 

I turned back toward town, and coasted to the German bakery. I bought empanadas for lunch at the Glacier tomorrow, and for dinner when we get back. Then I worked my way up to the supermercado. 

La Anomina is a chain. It’s definitely the largest mercado we’ve seen in Argentina (and since Coyhaique in Chile). I was able to finish up my resupply. They even had Mantecol bars!!! I bought 4. Alex and Markus were still there when I got there. We rode back “home” together. 

Tonight we are going to dinner with Caroline for one last time, and Matias and Camilla too. It’ll be fun!







No comments: