Monday, January 8, 2024

1/7-The Shortest Ride Ever

It started raining at some point in the night, and continued well into the morning, but no worries. We weren’t catching the boat until 5:00pm. Of course, the only thing is when you have to pee…ah well…tmi. Eventually, I just had to suit up in my rain gear, and make the trek to el baño. I even put my gaiters over my Berkies. 

Markus and I set up their tarp so he could carve, and I cooked my breakfast. Before long, the rain stopped, and bit by bit the rain gear came off. Behind the baños there was this shelter. There was a nice fire going, and I was able to mostly dry my shoes after yesterday’s creek crossings. 


The sun came out, so I went back to my tent. It was pretty much dry, so I packed it up. We still had a few hours before the boat, but I didn’t see any reason to not pack up (except my chair).

I fixed some lunch, then wandered down to the lake. 



There is a trail that goes along the lake. When there has been no boat, cyclists have been known to do the trail. According to the sign, however, it’s not allowed. 

At about 4:30ish, we could see the boat coming. We rolled our loaded bikes down to the dock. All we had to take off were the rear bags this time. 

The line of bikes waiting to load. 

This boat was larger than the other one. It could seat nearly double the number of people. 

Caroline, Matias, Camilla…all our new friends. 

And still a bunch of empty seats. 

The boat pulled away from the dock shortly after 5:00. It was about a 45 minute sailing to the other end of the lake. We were able to go outside at the front. 



Finally, no clouds obscuring Fitzroy. 

Glacier

Caroline took this. 

Pano shot. 

We pulled up to the dock. Billy was the third bike off. I had Markus grab him because the boat was rafted to another boat, so we had to go across that one too. 

We got our bags loaded back on the bikes. Unfortunately, Markus lost his mirror into the water. 

I said goodbye to Caroline. She was taking a bus to Chalten. We will go to Chalten tomorrow, so I hope I’ll see her again. 

We got on our bikes and headed down the road for…448 meters. There was a lodge, and all the people we had just said goodbye to were there. So funny! We all got something to drink (I had hot chocolate) and a brownie too. 


Ally and Alex, Camilla and Matias, Alex, Markus, and I, all decided to stay there. There was camping, and there was a shower (although, no hot water until 7:00pm). It cost 14,000pesos/person. That’s roughly $14USD. And, we could pay with a card (we still don’t have any Argentine pesos). 

It seemed like I had just taken my tent down. Oh yeah, I did! 

Nothing like having a view of a glacier (Huemule Glacier) from my tent!

There are quite a few car campers here. It looks like the “Boom” has arrived here in Argentina. 











No comments: