Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Mar 14: And Just Like That, I’m a Day ahead!

Like I said in the previous post, I decided I was rested enough from the ferry that I could just continue, instead of staying with Chris (I will be staying with him before I get on the ferry to go back to the mainland). I was able to have a shower, and use the WiFi. Donnie, the cockatiel, warmed up to me, and actually sat on my shoulder, and played with my glasses. They have the cutest little pup named Freya. I didn’t get photos this time, but I will next time. The other thing Chris helped me do was fix my bike glasses. The adapter frame cracked. I was worried the lens would fall out. Chris had some special super glue, and fixed it. Yay!

 

So I left just before 10:00. Chris told me about the bike path that would take me all the way through Devonport to Sheffield Rd. He also suggested I take a different road that was more scenic, but longer, and quite steep climbing. I told him I would see how my legs were feeling when I got to the turn.

The ferry from the other side of the Mersey River

 

 

Right away I noticed there were a lot of dead animals on the road. Not being totally well-versed in Australian Roadkill, I could only guess at what some of them were. I think I saw wallaby and possum. Avert your eyes because here’s a photo of, I think, a dead wallaby. I won’t be posting anymore, I promise. I also saw a dead snake (the only good kind of snake). The only live wildlife I saw was an echidna crossing the road. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo because there was no place to pull off, and a vehicle was waiting patiently to pass me.

Dead...wallaby?

 

 

Just before reaching the decision making turn (add 10km and steeper climbing, or...don’t), I came upon 3 guys on touring bikes. They were from Malaysia, and this was their last day. They had been here for two weeks. One of the guys took a selfie, and I took this photo.

Malaysian boys

 

 

It may come as a surprise (but probably not), my legs decided they didn’t want to do the extra km. I chose the shorter (but less scenic road-although, I found it to be quite scenic). It was also quite the climb up and over the Gog Forest! I didn’t have to walk, but I was certainly close a couple of times! The forest was pretty. At one point, a flock of green parrots flew over my head! The birds here are very cool. So many different sounds. I did see some black swans today too.

Black swans—not the best photo

 

 

The descent out of the Gog Forest was very steep. I think it was more steep than the other side. I was happy to be going down, but even with full on braking, I was only slowing down. Don’t know if I could have stopped. 

This was in view much of the day.

 

 

Meander Valley—great name, I think!

 I arrived at Mole Creek Caravan Park at about 3:30ish after 60km of riding. I was ready to be done. Jill, the owner is very nice, as are all the people I’ve met here. I’m camped in the same area as Ken, who is on a motorcycle, and Debra who is in a campervan. We’ve had a great evening! A number of chickens have made themselves at home here too. Apparently, there are also platypus here. A woman came over (I had talked to them when I was cooking over at the kitchen) and told us there was a family in the creek. We didn’t see them, but I’m going to look tomorrow.

Friendly Australian chicken

 

 It feels good to be back on the road.

No comments: