Thursday, March 29, 2018

Mar 29: I’m Glad I Didn’t Start From Triabunna Today

If I had started from Triabunna, which I had planned, today’s ride would have been about 110 km, maybe more. Instead, it was 91 km. Still, a long day.

 

I left Gumleaves earlier than I have so far, at 8:30. I didn’t see Graham and Jenny this morning. Just as well, I suppose. It was good to get going.

Sunrise through the trees at Gumleaves

 

 

There were no major climbs, but the wind was definitely a factor. Often a very strong crosswind, but on occasion a headwind. 

 

I passed Mayfield Bay, a place I had possibly planned to stay. There was a campsite there. The Bay was very nice.

Mayfield Bay

 

 

At about 32 kms, I arrived in Swansea. I resupplied some groceries, and used the WiFi at the Visitor Center. I also had a snack overlooking the park and bay. With another glorious day of sunshine, it was enjoyable.

 

From Swansea, I just kept pedaling. The wind was still blowing and now, to add to the fun, there were these clouds of flies. I’m not kidding when I say clouds. I could see them from quite a ways away. I would plow into them, or they would plow into me, and I’d be covered in the little buggers. (Note to self, keep one’s mouth shut when going through a cloud of flies)

Flies hitching a ride

 

 

It was about 3:00 when I came upon the Pondering Frog Cafe. With a name like that, I had to stop (okay, I also needed a break). I had a delicious chicken and Camembert pie with chips (fries) and salad.

Pondering Frog Cafe

I was looking at a map of Coles Bay/Freycinet NP. The owner came over and asked if I had ever been. I told him no, so he showed me and told me distances of the things to do on the map. He also asked where I was going to stay, and had I booked it. I told him the caravan park, and no I had not booked. He said I might not get a site (Easter weekend coming and all). He recommended I stay at Freycinet Park campground, and that I should ring ahead to make sure they had a site. I told him I couldn’t really ring ahead. He let me use his phone, which I was unsuccessful getting through. A guy named William took the phone and made the call for me. Freycinet had space for me! Yay!

 

The Visitor Center at Freycinet closed at 5:00pm. I rolled in at 4:58, just as they were getting ready to close. The gal knew I was the one on the bike who had called. They set me up with a spot in the backpackers/overflow area. It costs a total of $10 for two nights! Cheap accommodations for a National Park! So far, I’m the only one here. The toilets and cold showers are close, as is a kitchen shelter with a BBQ. This is really a day use area.

 

 

Tomorrow I will hike to the famed Wineglass Bay.

The Hazards from Richardson Bay where I am camped

 

No comments: