Friday, March 23, 2018

Mar 21: Nice Scenery and Nice People

Boy, was it cold this morning! In my tent it was 6 Celsius. Outside it was 4! I wore my wool capri tights under my long pants, and my long sleeve shirt over my short sleeve shirt, and my jacket over that. Since there was some climbing early on, I was able to take off the jacket and long sleeve shirt, and put on my white long sleeve button up shirt (with my sunsleeves on underneath). 

 

I stopped at a place called Nelson Falls about 7 km into the ride. It was just a short 10 minute walk to the Falls. They were quite nice.

Nelson Falls

 

 

Almost all of today’s ride was in the Franklin-Gordon River World Heritage Site, also a National Park. There were no towns along the way. There were lots and lots of bee hives. Just before the last long climb of the day, I stopped to take my long pants off. It’s a good thing I’m not afraid of bees, because there were several checking out my hi-vis vest, and generally inspecting Tilmann. I shooed them all away when it was time to go.

Just a few of the many bee hives I saw today

 

 

Earlier in the day I started seeing cyclists coming the other direction. They weren’t carrying any gear. After about 14 went by, the 15th one stopped to talk to me. It was a supported bike tour around Tassie. There were 19 or 20 of them from all over the world. They were going all the way to Strahan today...a long ride, but without gear, I supposed it was doable. They also had a tailwind.

 

I had a headwind, but until I got to the top of King William Saddle, it wasn’t too bad. At the Saddle, I had to take the DaBrim off my helmet because it was so windy. It was also quite chilly. I put my black jacket back on.

The view at the Saddle

 

 

I had done another little walk at the Franklin River Picnic Area. It was nice, but mostly it was good to get off the bike for a bit. I saw some people that I had seen at Cradle Mtn. They had passed me on the way to Zeehan, and they had passed me today. They are also staying at Lake St. Clair where I am tonight. 

 

Another couple, Steve and Marin, are camped near me. I spent part of the evening visiting with them. They have one of those cool tents on top of their vehicle. Really nice people.

This was taken the next morning.

 

 

When I arrived at the Lake St. Clair Lodge to pay for my campsite, I also got something to eat as I was starving. I sat with a couple from Queensland named Graham and Rhonda. They were staying in the lodge. I enjoyed visiting with them.

 

The park here is, obviously, on Lake St. Clair. It is part of Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park. It is interesting how it is all one park, yet it has been four days of riding for me to get from one to the other. There is a popular hiking trail called the Overland Track that goes from Cradle Mtn to Lake St. Clair. 

Lake St. Clair

 

Sunset on Lake St. Clair

 

Nah...it’s too dang cold!

 It’s shaping up to be another cold night, but maybe not as cold as last night.

No comments: