Thursday, March 1, 2018

T-Minus 1 Week—I Need This Week to Recover From Packing!

Whew! Packed!
Well, that was exhausting! According to my Things-I-Need-to-Do-Before-I-Leave calendar, I was going to pack up Tilmann tomorrow. I packed the panniers yesterday (as much as I could, anyway). After riding for a couple of errands, and realizing I wasn’t going to be using Tilmann anymore before I leave, I thought I might as well start cleaning him. One thing led to another, and I ended up doing the cleaning AND packing Tilmann into his case. I was a little nervous about whether he would still fit into the case with the bigger tires (even thouh I let as much air out as I could without losing the bead on the tubeless rims). I was right to be worried. It was touch and go for awhile, but bit by bit, I finally got the zipper completely closed. Fortunately, there are 8 straps in addition to the zipper. I just hope TSA can get it closed again when they open it for inspection.   I also finished with the panniers, getting them loaded into the Chinese shopping bag. This bag’s dimensions are different than the previous bags I’ve had. I think it’s actually better. Well, everything fit into it anyway. I also reinforced the seams. I feel like I’m pretty Chinese shopping bag savvy now. I know its weak points. Gorilla tape helps.   So, what am I going to do for the next week? I’m going to ride. I have at least 3 gravel rides, and one night ride. Since I packed today, I can ride tomorrow! I know the title of this post says I need a week to recover from packing, but...I can’t exactly do that! Must ride to be in shape for Australia! 

5 comments:

dmorgorg said...

Very impressive organization. I usually finish packing the bike when it's time to leave for the airport. Then I figure out clothes, cameras, etc.

Is that the S&S bike pack? What size tyres? (You'll be seeing that spelling soon...)

JuliefromCanada said...

So...question for you...is what I see in that pic EVERYTHING you will need for your bike tour? Just curious.

dmorgorg said...

I'm guessing yes, that's everything. Bike in the bag marked fragile. Two rear and one front pannier, water bottles, etc., in the Chinese bag. Front panniers, handlebar bag and helmet for add-on.

dmorgorg said...

Auto correct got me. That should be 'carry-on'

Colleen Welch said...

YEP, that’s everything!