Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Mar 26: Riding to the Sunshine With a Little Help From the Wind

I got some sad news via text message this morning. My mother-in-law passed away from influenza. At least she was not ill for too long. It feels like the end of an era. 

 

So, it was with a heavy heart that I left Hobart this morning. The rain seemed to fit my mood. I said goodbye to Dorothy and Greg. I absolutely know my stay in Hobart would not have been nearly as fun without these two wonderful people. I’m so glad to have made two new friends, and to also have met so many of their friends and fellow cyclists. 

 

I made my way back to the Intercity Cycle Path. I would ride this path to the Bowen Bridge, instead of going across the Tasman Bridge. It was a good option. The Tasman Bridge would have been quite the climb. The Bowen Bridge was much easier.

Intercity Bike path

 

 

The bridge I didn’t have to go over

 

Today I followed the suggestions of Greg, Dorothy, and Bob. The first major climb was Grass Tree Hill. While it was pretty long, I found I didn’t need my easiest gear. Either the hill wasn’t too bad, or I am getting more fit. Perhaps a bit of both.

 

I arrived in Richmond about 11:30. I only stopped to use the toilet, then continued on. Dorothy had told me about a dirt road that was shorter, but I thought I had to go toward Campania to pick it up (it was very small on my map). Turns out I needed to continue through Richmond. However, it wasn’t much longer the way I went, maybe a couple of kilometers. Once I did the cut over, I was on the Tasman Hwy for the rest of the day. It was busy, but had a fairly decent shoulder in many places. I had two more “hills of note” on the Tasman Hwy. One was called “Black Charlies Opening”, and the other was called “Bust-Me-Gall Hill”. Funny names, I thought...

 

I had planned to go to Buckland, but I had a nice tailwind, and arrived there at 2:45. Since I was going to be trying to pitch up my tent behind the roadhouse, I decided it was too early. Plus, I knew I only had 16km to get to the next town of Orford, where there was a proper caravan park. 

Rainbow in Orford

 

 

The wind was still pushing me along nicely, and it was off and on sunny. I arrived in Orford at 3:45. I got some cash from the ATM, then noticed it was only 7 more kilometers to Triabunna. What the heck, I may as well go to Triabunna! That’s where I’ll be catching the ferry to Maria Island tomorrow. 

 

I arrived at the Triabunna Visitor Center in time to get my ticket for the ferry to Maria (FYI, it’s pronounced “Mariah”) Island. In addition to my fare, I have to pay $10 for Tilmann, and $10 for my bags. Dorothy gave me a Chinese Rice Bag (she calls them “stripy bags”) to put all my panniers in so I only have to pay for one bag. The total was $65. I’m taking the 9:00 ferry tomorrow, then camping overnight on the island, and taking the 3:30 ferry back the next day. That gives me almost two full days to explore the island. There are no cars on the island, so it should be quite nice riding. 

 

When I purchased my ticket, the woman asked me where I was staying. I had come straight to the Visitor Center, so I told her I would go to the caravan park. She said I could just go check in with the people at the pub across the street, and set up my tent for free behind the building. I did, and am within a stones throw of where I’ll catch the boat tomorrow. Best of all, I met Anna. She is a 25 year old from the UK, but has been living in Melbourne. She is doing her first cycle tour. Unfortunately, we are going the opposite direction. Also, she is not going to Maria Island. Since it was still quite windy, we decided to eat dinner together at the pub. We had a great evening chatting, and both enjoyed having the company. 

 

 

Today was now my longest day at 94.8km. I actually felt pretty good. I think a day off always helps, plus it was not quite as hilly as the West Coast. Tomorrow’s weather should be pretty good for my Maria Island excursion.

1 comment:

snowdraak said...

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law Colleen.
You are in my thoughts!
Alison