Friday, March 23, 2018

Mar 20: It Could Be a Little Warmer!

At least there was just a tiny bit of rain this morning, then partly cloudy the rest of the day. But the highest temp (according to my bike computer) was just 16 Celsius. Even when I’m climbing, I’d like it to be a bit warmer.

 

I said goodbye to all my new friends at Strahan Beach this morning. One gal from South Dakota even gave me a hug! They all passed me today on the way to their next stops. They beeped and waved. Strahan was fun.

 

The climbing wasn’t terrible on the way to Queenstown. There was a nice lookout at the top. I talked to a couple who had been on the same train ride yesterday. The descent into Queenstown was good. 

Tilmann at the top

 

 

Queenstown was the destination for the Lonely Planet book route, but I planned to go further. However, I did spend some time in Queenstown eating some lunch, and getting a few groceries. The West Coast Wilderness Railway also has a train that leaves from Queenstown and goes to Dubbil Barill. By the looks of it, the Queenstown station is much newer.

Entering Queenstown

 

 

The Hunters Inn in Queenstown. It didn’t appear to be open anymore.

 

The Queenstown Station for the Wilderness Railway

 

At the grocery store, I asked how far the campground was on Lake Burbery. A guy told me it was 21km. That was great because it lessens tomorrow’s ride. Also, by going to Lake Burbery, I got the steepest climb out of the way. 

The beginning of the 99 Bend Road out of Queenstown. You can see the road up in the distance.

 

Looking back down, but still more climbing to go.

 

 

It started right out of Queenstown. The road is really Lyell Hwy, or the A10, but it is known as the 99 Bend Road. It switchbacks up for 3.8km. I thought it wasn’t too bad. Near the top I could see Horsetail Falls. There was also a hiking trail for a closer view. I didn’t need a closer view.

Horsetail Falls

 

The hiking path to get closer to the Falls

 

 From the trailhead the road went down. I put my black jacket on for the descent, and left it on for the rest of the day. Like I said, it could be a little warmer.

Lake Burbery

 

 

I found the Lake Burbery Camping Ground. It is my cheapest night so far at $6. The caretaker said I could set up in the shelter. This is no fancy caravan park. There are flush toilets, but no showers. There is a BBQ in the shelter. I’ve half a mind to turn it on just to warm up! The lake is pretty. The vegetation is different now. Not rainforest anymore. It looks more dry, yet there was just as much rain here as in Strahan (hence the reason I am set up in the shelter—the ground is very splooshy wet). 

 

There are a number of the green parrot birds here. I tried to get some photos. They are very pretty and also squawk like typical parrots.

Prince’s Parrots

 

 I’m going to end this post as I’m am freezing cold. It’s time to get into my sleeping bag with all my clothes on! Tomorrow is forecast to be sunny. I hope with that sun comes some warmth.

No comments: