Saturday, March 17, 2018

Mar 17: Flora, Fauna, and More Downhill Than Climbing

Last night I spent most of the evening in the kitchen. There were lots of people eating and enjoying themselves. I really like this concept of the kitchens! It’s a great place to meet people, and enjoy the evening. There was a nice family from Sydney. They had passed me on the road, and had also been at Mole Creek when I was there. They have a son and a sweet little 6 month old girl. 

 

It rained much of the night. It stopped by morning, but my tent was a muddy mess. I had taken the DaBrim off my helmet because it was soaking wet, and I didn’t want to bring it into my tent. Even though it was under the vestibule, it was also a muddy mess. When I packed up, I strapped it onto the rack on top of my tent, hoping it would dry, and then I could brush off the dirt. 

 

Some women in the kitchen, as I was eating my breakfast, said I should stay the day, and do some of the walks. While I considered it, I decided not to because the weather was looking bad for tomorrow, and I didn’t want a second day of riding in the rain. So, Cradle Mountain was a bit of a bust for me. Oh well, that happens sometimes (like the Tetons on the Great Divide).

 

I left about 9:30. The first bit was downhill so I still had my black jacket on. Once I was back out to the main road, I stopped to take it off. I looked off in the scrub at the side of the road and saw this echidna waddling along. Every time I would click my tongue it would stop and tuck its head. I got this photo.

Can you see the little fella?

 

 

Not too far down the road, I happened to glance over and see this wallaby. There were actually two, but the other hopped away before I could get a photo. But, I did get this little guy. 

 

Although today’s route trended down, it didn’t really seem like it. There were three climbs of note, with the first one being the steepest up to Black Bluff. Before the road started climbing in earnest, I stopped to take a photo of the orange rocks. I’m sure it’s a lichen of some sort. It covered many of the rocks.

 

The climb up to Black Bluff was quite the lung buster. It it had continued much longer, I would have had to walk. The top was the Cradle Mountain Development Road Highest Point. It was there at Black Bluff that I finally got a bit of a view of Cradle Mountain.

 

I talked to a couple of guys at the top. One was quite interested in Tilmann. He took a photo of the belt drive. He also said I would meet lots of people when I cycle across The Nullarbor. 

 

The descent was awesome and fast since I didn’t have the DaBrim on my helmet. I had put my jacket back on for the descent because it was still chilly. At the bottom, when I took my jacket off, I noticed the DaBrim was dry. Since the sun was now out, I brushed off the dirt, and put it back on my helmet.

 

I continued pedaling along, taking breaks now and then. At one point I saw these mushrooms across the road. I know we have this variety at home, but I’ve never seen them. I stopped to take a photo.

 

Climb number two for the day wasn’t too bad. On the other side was the town of Tullah. I stopped at the Tullah Bar and Cafe for a break and some food. I had the most delicious focaccia with roasted chicken, avocado, and tasty cheese (yes, that’s what it’s called—it’s the equivalent of a medium cheddar). 

 

 

Refueled, I set off to complete the final climb, and last 16km for the day. The climb was the longest of the three, but it was through a forest of shade trees and big ferns. It was nice and cool in the shade. I stopped several times to rest. I was quite thrilled to finally reach the top and get to go down down down into Rosebery, my destination for the night. This is probably the largest town I’ve come across since leaving Devonport. There was a sign as I came into town saying to turn right at the hotel for the caravan park. I never saw a hotel. Next thing I knew, I was heading out of town. Hmmm.... I stopped at a park that had some RVs. I asked where the caravan park was. Guy told me to go back into town, and turn left at the “dump point” sign. Then I saw the sign (from the other direction—still no hotel). This is one of the more rustic caravan parks I’ve stayed at so far. It does not have a kitchen or WiFi. It does have showers and laundry. I have a nice view from my site. If you look at this photo, you can see the “Indian face” on the rock (the lady in reception pointed it out to me). I’m the only tent here, but that’s okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally getting a peek at your blog and so lovely to read about your travels in Cradle Mountain - where we saw you. Looks like you’ve had plenty more adventures since too! Stay cool :-).

(The Sydney family at Cradle Mountain).