Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Mar 13: A Two Part Day and Night

Part One—Before the Boat

 

Both Ian and Nat had to work today. Ian was hoping he would be able to get home in time to ride with me to the ferry. I needed to leave by 3:00.

 

In the meantime, I walked up to a shopping area called Tunstall Square. I wanted to get some postcard stamps, a postcard for Grayson, and sunscreen (I had forgotten to get it earlier). I was successful in finding stamps and sunscreen, but unable to find a single postcard in any of the shops. As there were a number of tasty food options, I decided to get some lunch, and also get some food for the ferry. I had already bought some food for the ferry when I spied a Subway. I took the opportunity to check off an Australian Subway (I haven’t decided if I will try to eat at a Subway in each state). The guy who made my sandwich had lots of questions about US Subways when I told him how I eat Subway in every country I go to. 

Victoria Subway Check!

 

 

Back at the apartment, I finished up with the packing, and gave Tilmann a bit of a swab down to get some of the dust off from the Lilydale-Warburton Trail. I took him outside, and loaded the panniers on him.

Loaded and ready to go

 

 

At 2:50, it was pretty clear Ian wasn’t going to make it. Close to 3:00 I rolled out. I had written down the Google directions to the Station Pier. As is usually the case, it all seems to make sense until I actually start riding. I was pretty good until I got closer to the city. Then I start to second guess myself. Fortunately, I had done screen shots of the route. I had fired up my Garmin, but it was still taking me a weird way, so I relied on the screen shots. The part that I suspected might be a little tricky was, but with frequent stops to look at the screenshots, I figured it out. The only problem was that when I had to turn off of a path onto a street, there was no street sign to tell me if that was the street I needed to turn onto. Fortunately, in each instance, there was a person I could ask.

The Main Yarra Trail

 

 

 

Crossing the Yarra River

Cycling on the Promenade along the Yarra River was very slow due to lots of people walking. After I left the river, I was cycling on a path between two sets of tram tracks. I eventually came to a cross street. Google had told me I was supposed to turn on Beach St. Of course, there was no street sign. A gentleman was walking by, and I asked him what the name of the street was. He said it was Beach Street, then asked me where I was going. When I told him I was going to the ferry, he said I just needed to go straight, and I would end up right at Station Pier. It was just over 28km to the pier. I arrived at about 5:30. 

My portal to the ship. Tilmann was parked just inside the entrance.

 

 

Part Two—The Boat

 

I went through security, checked in, and got my boarding pass and key card for the recliner lounge area. For being no extra charge, the recliner seems quite nice. They provide a pillow and a blanket. All I brought up with me from Tilmann was my handlebar bag and a water bottle. I didn’t really want to have to carry a pannier with me. I’m lucky that I have a recliner against a wall, and an aisle on the other side. There are some that are situated like airline seats, right next to each other. 

My home for the night

 

 

I went out on the top deck (that is the 10th Level) to watch our departure. The sun was setting. It was quite windy, and a bit chilly. As we pulled away from the pier, the gulls were amassing along the top of the water as it was being churned up. I stayed outside until the sun set, and I was too cold.

Melbourne pano

 

 

 

Spirit of Tasmania 1

 

Departing selfie

 

Birds waiting for goodies

Sunset as I leave Melbourne

There are two theaters on board. It costs $10 to watch a movie. Two of the four movies that are playing, I watched on the plane. There is plenty of entertainment throughout the ship—game rooms, a kids play area, TV lounges, etc. there is supposedly WiFi, but I don’t think it’s free, and it’s not loading anyway. This will probably be uploaded when I get to Tassie.

 

 

I slept okay, but I was cold. I really wished I had brought my jacket up with me. Now, I’m at Chris’ place, but as usually happens, I’m changing my plan. Instead of staying here today, I’m going to head on to Mole Creek. 

1 comment:

Ian Michelson said...

Ahhhh I would have only just missed you! I got home just after 3pm, jumped on the bike to chase you down and I ended up getting two flats!!! I’ve since bought a bulk pack of Co2 cartridges so I should be sweet for a while!! Haha

Enjoy Tassie! Look forward to hearing about your travels when you get back!

Ian