Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Mar 28: Another Two-Part Day

Part 1: Maria Island Riding Adventure

 

Since I kind of did all the close short rides yesterday, and I didn’t catch the ferry until 3:30, I decided to ride to Frenchs Farm. It was only 22 km roundtrip. I left about 9:00. The going was pretty easy for the first 6 or so kilometers, even though they were doing some roadwork where I had been yesterday (I just went around on the walking path). When I got to where I had turned around yesterday, it was muddy (it rained last night), then very very sandy. They were also working on that part of the road. I had to push through a bunch of sand. I could ride between most of the sand dips (see photo), but then would have to get off and push. Once I got past where they were working, things were better, and I could ride. I just kept thinking it was good practice for Munda Biddi, even though I didn’t have any of my gear (except my handlebar bag). Tilmann did quite well considering the terrain. 

Deep sand

 

 

It took me about an hour to get to Frenchs Farm. I was hoping to see some of the Forester kangaroos, but alas, there weren’t any. Frenchs Farm is also one of the free campsites on the island. I had thought of going there to camp, but I am really glad I didn’t. It would have been miserable trying to ride.

Frenchs Farm

 

 

Since I was doing good on time, I continued on to Encampment Cove. That is another free campsite. It was nice too. There was a view over to the isthmus that goes to the Southern part of Maria Island. 

The isthmus to the south part of the island

 

 

From there I rode back to Darlington. Going back I did a little better, but still had to push through some of the sand bits. I saw several other cyclists who had rented bikes. They were all walking through the sand. I told them they would be able to ride soon.

 

When I got back into the township, I stopped at the bike hire place and used the floor pump to add back the air I had let out of my tires yesterday. I talked briefly to the bike hire guy. He (along with many other people) told me the Nullarbor would be boring. 

 

It was about lunch time, but I decided to take a shower since I probably wouldn’t have one in Triabunna. Besides, I had the time. Then I ate some lunch, and packed up my tent and gear. As I was eating my lunch, a kangaroo went hopping across the grassy meadow by the campground. Of course, i didn’t have my camera with me...

 

I rode Tilmann down to the place where there is a television showing a documentary about when they introduced Tasmanian Devils to Maria Island. I watched some yesterday too. That killed some of the time I had before the ferry. After the show was over, I went outside and sat with this wombat for awhile. He didn’t seem to be bothered by me sitting near him. In fact, he went to sleep for awhile. 

Wombat friend

 

 

The ferry arrived and I packed up the same as when I had come over. We headed back to Triabunna. I’m really glad I stayed the night on Maria Island (although I didn’t see any Devils, I did hear them last night). 

 

Part 2: So Nice, I Just Had to Ride!

 

As I was riding the ferry, I looked at my map and saw that there was a caravan park in Little Swanport, which was about 22 km north of Triabunna. I calculated that the ferry would get in about 4:00, then by the time I got Tilmann all loaded up and ready to go, it would be about 4:30. If I could make it to Little Swanport by 6:30, it would still be light. The only downside was not being able to use the WiFi at the Visitor Center in Triabunna to upload the last two day’s posts. But, the weather was so nice and warm, I just couldn’t pass up riding. Plus, doing the 22 km of tomorrow’s ride today, meant I don’t have to ride 100km tomorrow. That makes me happy. 

Beautiful afternoon for a ride!

 

 

I didn’t know the name of the caravan park, but there is always a sign. Sure enough, there was a sign to Gumleaves Park. It was about 2km off the highway on a dirt road. It is quite the extensive caravan park. It’s also kind of an...I guess an amusement park. They have a flying fox (zipline), and a bird aviary, miniature golf, etc. Currently, it’s pretty quiet. The office was closed (I arrived just after 6:00), but Bob must have seen me roll in because he came up and registered me. I came down to the campsite to find wallabies everywhere, and rosella parrots (one variety with a red head, and another that’s mostly green). Graham and Jenny, the managers invited me over after I set up my camp. At one point, in their little courtyard, there were 16 wallabies and one pademelon (I can see the difference now—pademelons are smaller and have a shorter tail). There were also a number of the rosella parrots, and three kookaburras. They feed the wallabies and birds, so that’s why there were so many. It’s funny because I’m sitting in my tent, and I keep hearing the thump thump thump as the wallabies hop by.

Rosella parrots

 

Wallabies galore

 

 

Graham and Jenny are very nice. They gave me a couple of bottles of water, and said to let them know if I needed more in the morning. I think it would be cool to stay here a couple of days, but I don’t have time. Besides, I still plan to take a day off in Freycinet NP. I will get there tomorrow. 

 

 

I think it was a good plan to ride here instead of staying behind the pub in Triabunna (even though that would have been free). 

No comments: