Tuesday, September 21, 2021

4B Day 11-Once Again on My Own

First a little update from yesterday. It was a good thing I only waited an hour for Bob and Janet at the top of Colockum Pass because they made a wrong turn, and ended up coming down a different way. Not sure how they managed to do that, but fortunately they met a guy in a pickup who headed them in the right direction. Had they continued on the road they were on, they would have had a massive climb to get out of the canyon. 

On to today…

Bob and I decided to let our tents dry (the dew had soaked the rainfly), and go to breakfast at the Perkins not far from the campground. When we got back, the tents were mostly dry. We packed up and headed out at 9:30. The route had us going partway back the way we had come in on Business 90 (University Way). When I got to the first turn, I waited for Bob and Janet. I saw them coming, but then they turned a couple of blocks early. Thinking they were probably going on the “Bike Blvd”, I turned and waited for them to come up the road a block over. Only, they didn’t. I messaged Bob saying, “So you are taking a different route?” I continued on the route as planned. After some zigs and zags, I came out to the Palouse to Cascades Trailhead at the Kittatas Fairgrounds. I knew we were supposed to ride for a short bit on the P2C today, then take the trail back from the bridge tomorrow. 

P2C

Crosses Pfenning Rd. Here I turned and rode one block over to the Vantage Hwy. 

Barn quilt along the Vantage Hwy

At first I wasn’t too thrilled to be riding the Hwy when there was a perfectly good trail that went to the same place (nearly). But, after awhile, there was very little traffic, and it was good to not ride the same thing we will ride tomorrow. 

I kept looking back to see if I could see Bob and Janet. Nope, no sign of them. I continued on. 

There was one good climb (and then another shorter one near the end). I was heading toward the wind turbines. At first, the ones I could see weren’t turning. Yay, no wind! But then, the further on I went, the more the wind picked up. Still, I’ve been in far worse headwinds. 

These ones were facing the “wrong” direction, meaning a headwind for me. 

The wind farm, where they grow turbines! This was the top. 

From the top, I had a glorious 6 or 7 mile descent down to Vantage. I stopped at the Ginko Petrified Forest place, but the sign said the trail was closed due to extreme fire danger. Just as I got there, Bruce (from Day 3) came riding up the hill. He kept on going. 

I came to Vantage. I was thinking if there was a restaurant, I’d stop and have something to eat. The restaurant was closed. I continued on, crossing over I-90. 

The I-90 bridge at Vantage. 

It was just three more miles to the park. 

Wanapum State Park down below. 

They have two hiker/biker sites here, so another cheap night of camping. I got my tent set up, and was about to go take a shower, when another cyclist arrived. Turns out he is a friend of Bob’s, and is joining us for the ride back. His name is Thomas. We decided it made more sense for us to get both H/B sites, and put two of us on each site. 

Thomas and Bruce

Bob arrived a little later (Janet and Bruce stopped at the Ginko Petrified Forest, and arrived awhile later). Bob and I decided to share a site, and Thomas and Janet could share a site. As for Bruce, he has his van, so he is in the site next to the H/B sites. The H/B sites are, literally, right next to the bathrooms. It’s like we have our own private bathrooms (but we are generous, and let other campers use them too)! There is a bit of a funky smell emanating from them, but you get used to it after awhile. So far, it’s the shortest walk we’ve had to toilets and showers!

I cooked pasta with some veggies that Bob picked up at a free stand along the route for Bob and I. It was another good dinner. 

I chatted with Bruce and Thomas for awhile. Took this photo of the river. 


We all decided we’re aiming for an earlier start tomorrow. Thomas and Janet are concerned about the sand we will have to ride through. I want to get back to Ellensburg in time to stop at Perkins and get a whole pie, and do my laundry. I have the biggest tires, and the most experience riding sand. I might be riding by myself again tomorrow. 

I’ll end this with this photo of the autumnal equinox moon rise. 

Goodnight, and Happy Fall!







No comments: