Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Part 2 of Day 4-Just 20 Miles to Go to Get to the Money

First order of business when we got back I to Gold Bar was to get some lunch (we had planned to have breakfast, but a certain gravel ride took quite a bit longer than anticipated). By the time we got to the Mountain View Diner, it was after 1:00.

As we were leaving Gold Bar. See? Even Bigfoot wears a mask! 

We had a great lunch, then headed out onto Hwy 2 for the remainder of the ride. Hwy 2 has a variable shoulder that at times is very wide, and at other times hardly there at all. I was coming up on a wide spot, and decided, since the sky was looking rather threatening, I would pull my poncho out and strap it to the back. While I was doing that, it actually started to rain…good timing! I put my system of Shake Dry and poncho on. We were climbing, and it wasn’t really cold. Then it mostly stopped raining, so I just wore the Shake Dry. 

Index Mtn? Notice not so great shoulder. 

Bob up ahead (good shoulder)

Janet and I. 

Really wanting to get to the campground so we could get our tents up before the rain really arrived, we mostly pedaled steady. At least it wasn’t all up. 

We finally reached our destination of Money Creek Campground. The campground closed Sept 1st but we just waved to the camp host, and slipped under the gate. Toilets are locked, but the water is still on. 

We hustled to get our tents up, then cooked dinners. It was really beginning to rain in earnest, so I battened down the hatches, and retreated to my tent. Found another great use for the poncho. It’s covering the handlebar of MC! 

The rain is supposed to stop by 8:00AM tomorrow, and be nice. Fingers are crossed because we go up and over Stevens Pass. 


No comments: