Saturday, September 18, 2021

B4 Day 8-Where We Rode as Much as Usual, Without Forward Progress

This morning I slept until 7:15! It’s so much more comfortable sleeping on grass (yes, I have a good sleeping pad). Bob and Janet were already up. I got my act together so Bob and I could go eat breakfast at Smitty’s Pancake House. Janet opted for her own food, and hung out at the campsite while we were gone. 

After breakfast, we all headed out to check out the Apple Loop Trail (part of it). Bob and I wanted to go to the Public Market (part Farmer’s Market, part permanent market…like Pike Place, but much smaller). The trail goes across a bridge. Down in the Wenatchee River we could see salmon. 

Looking for salmon. 

That dark spot in the center is a fish. 

We exited the state park, then shortly later entered Walla Walla Point Park that is on the Columbia River. 

The rowing club barn in the park. 

“Alexander Griggs Walking to Work” “Super Biker Woman Rides”!

There was a huge cross country track meet going on. We found out later it was the Wenatchee Invitational. There were something like 38 schools competing. There was also a walk for Alzheimer’s. It was a busy day at the park!

Waiting for the runners to pass.

One could even ride a train!

We rode down to the steel bridge that is now part of the Apple Loop Trail. Janet and I wanted to ride over the bridge. Bob said we would ride over it later when we did the whole Apple Loop, but we wanted to do it anyway. 

About the bridge

Mile 0 of the Apple Loop Trail (it’s 10 miles total) is on the middle of the bridge. 





Big ol’ pipe runs across the bridge. 

Those hills are where we are headed tomorrow. 

Bob heading back down. 

Janet continued on to go visit her brother for the day. Bob and I went back to go to the Public Market. At the market, we bought some pasta and veggies to cook for dinner. I found a small bottle of butter infused olive oil. We were going to eat well tonight!

Outdoor part of the market. 

Bob asked if I wanted to go across the wooden bridge to downtown. Sure, why not!

There was an Arlberg Sports store just across the bridge. I decided I should pick up another fuel canister. I also picked up a long sleeve shirt (the only long sleeve shirt I brought is my sleeping shirt). It’s been chillier than I expected. 

We made one more stop on the way back to the campground at Grocery Outlet to get some mushrooms and Parmesan for our dinner. 

Remember yesterday when I said we had a plan to get to stay here another night? Well, we rolled up to the kiosk, prepared to tell the park host that we would register this night in my name (not Bob’s). Turned out, there was no need for such subterfuge. The same gal as yesterday just asked for the phone number again, collected our $12, and we were good for another night!

We had some lunch at our campsite, then Bob and I took off again to ride to Lincoln Rock State Park. It’s 7 miles from Wenatchee Confluence, partly on the Apple Loop, and partly on another trail that runs up river to the State Park. 

Over the Hwy 2 bridge on the Apple Loop Trail. 

Rocky Reach Dam. 

Entering Lincoln Rock Park. 

We circled the park, then headed back to complete the Apple Loop. 

Look how nice the weather became!

Mile 7 of the Apple Loop. 

Getting closer to the steel bridge from the other side. 

We made it back to the campsite at about 5:00. We took showers, and I cooked our delicious dinner of garlic angel hair pasta with sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, tomato, and salami in butter infused olive oil with some shaved Parmesan on top. 

We rode 31 miles today, but did not make any forward progress. It wasn’t much of a rest day, but since we weren’t loaded, it was an easy day. Tomorrow we have our one and only backcountry camping as we head up Colockum Pass. Probably won’t be able to upload a blog post until the following day. 





 


No comments: