Saturday, September 11, 2021

Day 1-Beverly Bridge Tour (BBT)-The End Was the Best Part!


Mama Cass all loaded up, and ready to roll…slowly. 

A couple of days ago, I contacted a Warmshowers host on Vashon to see if I could stay my first night. Rebecca responded quickly, saying it would be no problem. Excellent! Day 1’s accommodations secured! 

I headed out from home at about 8:20. While MC was definitely heavy, she was not as heavy as when Jana and I did Oregon’s Big Country Route. Still, my fitness level suffered a bit while I was off the bike for two weeks in Minneapolis. 

I did the usual route to Point Defiance (well…lately, the usual route has been to drive to the ferry terminal…that was not the case today). I wasn’t sure what ferry I would make, but it didn’t really matter anyway. 

Actually pulled over to the other side of the road to get this photo of the Nisqually Delta (and a bit of I-5 down below).

Just after I went through the opening in the fence at the bottom of Hoffman Hill, a guy hopped out of his car (had a bike on the back) to ask me about the opening in the fence. He wanted to know if I had any trouble getting through. I told him it was wide enough (barely for my handlebar). His name was Joe. He is from Bremerton, and does month long bike tours. He was doing recon for his tour next summer. He said he pulls a Bob trailer with his dog (and the full complement of panniers). He feels it’s necessary to recon the whole route he’s planning because of the dog. To me, that would sure take away some of the excitement, but I understand his reasoning. We chatted for a bit (which was a good break before climbing up Hoffman Hill), then I continued on. 

The weather was really perfect today. Not too hot. Stopped for a snack as I was coming along the water in Steilacoom. 

Nice day for a bike ride!

Foolishly, I decided to go up the East Slope Trail that starts at the bottom of Chambers Creek Canyon. For some crazy reason, I thought it would be more of a gradual climb than the road. It was not! It got up to a whopping 14% grade! At most, I think the road is maybe 9 or 10%. 

It does a steep little switchback up ahead. 

Of course, the advantage was no cars…except for two golf carts! Yeah…I’ll save this for coming down, and stick to the road going up (even with the cars…there’s a good shoulder).

Once again, I rode up Cirque Drive instead of staying on Grandview all the way to 27th. Grandview becomes a bit of a roller coaster, but what’s really nice about going up Cirque is not having to do the climb up 27th, then having to make a left onto Jackson. I still make the left (onto Bridgeport as it is named at that point), but Cirque is not as busy as 27th. I did hit 11% going up Cirque. My legs were definitely beginning to feel the climbing. 

I did the Skyline pedestrian bridge over Hwy 16, then dropped down to Narrows Dr. I was pretty sure I could make the 12:40 ferry, but I didn’t mind if I didn’t. I would have just sat and ate some lunch while waiting for the 1:40. I made it in time to use the restroom, and fill my water (no potable water, except vending machines, on the ferry). There was a large group of Vespa type scooters also taking the ferry. One looked more like a little tiny motorcycle. Those little motors sure made a lot of noise coming on the ferry!

This is MC’s first time on a ferry!

Since I had made the 12:40, I quickly opened up one of my front fork bags to see if it was the lunch one. Then I took it upstairs. Sat down, and opened the bag, only to realize what I thought was my peanut butter, was not, and therefore not the bag with lunch. I went back down and swapped bags. I had just enough time to eat, go outside for a photo, then head back down to MC. 

Tortilla with PB and Nutella, and two medjool dates…yum!

Already almost to the Tahlequah ferry dock!

I texted Rebecca once I got off the ferry, then followed the route to her house. It was about 6.5 miles. Once I was off Wax Orchard, I was on roads I’ve not ridden. It was nice. 

Rebecca texted me back saying she was in town, and heading back shortly. I was about a mile from her house. When she’d given me directions, she said part of the road she lives off of was a 4X4 dirt road, and that I might want to go around. HA! MC lives for dirt and gravel! 

First a nice gravel road. 

Then a bit rougher, but still no problem for MC. 

There was one spot where the road went up quite steeply. Fortunately, it was fairly short. My legs were pretty much toasted by now! I managed to ride it though. 

I made it to Rebecca’s (and Ely’s…her 14 year old son) before Rebecca made it home. She said she would be there in 5 minutes. I said I was there…I think, and sent a photo of the house. She said that was it, and I could go get settled at the tent in the back. 

Isn’t this awesome?!!

I parked MC, and shortly after Rebecca came up, bringing her two big white dogs (think polar bears) to meet me. The female is Teton, and the less social male is something like Yoney (?)…I forget. Teton is very friendly. My legs were covered in white hair. 

Rebecca is great, and this is such a wonderful place in the woods. I told her my favorite part of today’s ride was the last mile on the gravel and dirt. Tomorrow morning I’ll have just a bit more gravel as I leave. 

Rebecca had to leave for work until 6:00. When she gets back, I’ll take a shower. I’m just going to cook my own dinner (less to carry for tomorrow’s 60 mile day). My bed is all set up in the tent. 


I’m going to attempt to make the 8:40 ferry to Fauntleroy tomorrow morning. Since I don’t have to take down my tent, I should have time. Might just cold soak my breakfast to make things go faster in the morning. 







1 comment:

Barb Chamberlain said...

Thanks for sharing the route details! So helpful for others who might want to make a similar trip. Finding this kind of from-the-saddle information has been one of my challenges when I've tried to design a tour.
Tailwinds!