Friday, September 24, 2021

4B Day 14-Being Pampered


Lake Easton on our way out. 

Today was a beautiful day for a bike ride! Thomas and I somehow got out ahead of Bob and Janet (miscommunication). We rode through the park to the trail that connects back to the P2C. It put us back on the trail war the bridge over the Yakima River (our last crossing). We rode back just a bit to check out the bridge. 

It’s really a cool bridge. 

We had come from the other side of the lake. 

Bob and Janet joined us, and we headed out on the trail. Janet and I got ahead of the guys. It was really easy riding up to Hyak. 

Another tunnel. Funny thing…my Garmin initiated the climb profile, but there was no climb. I finally figured out it was thinking we were going over the hill instead of through the tunnel (it did the same thing for the Snoqualmie Tunnel). Silly Garmin…why go over when we can go through!

Lake Kacheelus 

This bald eagle was taking a bath in the lake. 

Fall color

Hyak Trailhead. 

Janet and I had ridden pretty steady to Hyak, so I was pleasantly surprised when Bob and Thomas arrived only about 20 minutes behind us. We ate some lunch and filled up water because there’s no water at the Cedar Falls Trailhead where we would be stealth camping. I asked Thomas how much water he could carry. He just had two bottles. I pulled out my two 1-liter platypus containers, my CNOC 2 liter bag, and my 1 Liter CNOC collapsible bottle. I filled everything (plus my 1 liter bottle, and my 17 oz bottle. I told Thomas I could carry three extra liters for him. That meant I was carrying 6 liters plus 17 ozs. Then, I realized I could message my friend Donna (who was bringing us dinner), and ask her to bring us water too. But, just because I could, I carried the water anyway. It was downhill the whole way, and weight always wins on the downhill. 

We all made it through the tunnel (Thomas’ first time).

Ready to go through!

Almost there! Tunnel is 2.3 miles long. 

Thomas

Bob and Janet

Back to the Western side of the state!

Granite Mtn (lookout on top).

In all the times I’ve ridden to and through the tunnel, I’ve never had such nice weather. It was about 70 degrees! The colors are really looking beautiful. 


Thomas and I made it to Cedar Falls Trailhead at about 2:45.  The others rolled in not much later. We hung out at the picnic tables next to the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. 





Waiting to set up our stealth camp. 

Donna arrived with dinner about 5:45. She brought us a ton of food (Bahn mi sandwiches, spring rolls, soup, chips, cider, and brownies). It was all fabulous! But most of all, it was great to see Donna in person again! Thanks so much, Donna!


Then, as I was walking with Donna to her car, Sue, who had ridden with us from Flowing Water to Sultan (with Bruce), showed up with beer, and pastries (for breakfast tomorrow). We have definitely been pampered today!!! 

We set up our tents as it got dark, and waited for them to lock the gate. All appears to be quiet now. Tomorrow, I part ways with Bob and Janet, but Thomas is going to ride with me into Seattle. Then he’ll either ride home to Kent, or have his wife come get him. I’ll continue on to the Fauntleroy Ferry, and back to Rebecca’s on Vashon for the night. 

Goodnight from Cedar Falls!






 


No comments: