Sunday, September 12, 2021

BBT Day 2-Connecting Cities With Bike Paths

A little update from last night…After Rebecca got home, I went to the house to take a shower. I’d already eaten my dinner, but didn’t turn down some Moche (not spelled correctly) chocolate cake with peanut butter icing from Trader Joes that Rebecca and Eli made (her the cake, Eli the icing). It was delicious!

I looked at the forecast and saw it was likely going to rain early in the morning, so I brought MC into the tent. 

She actually fell over in the middle of the night (toward the tent wall), and it was tricky getting her back upright. 

I set my alarm for 5:45, hoping to make it to the 8:40 ferry. I actually made it to the one before. They were mostly done loading. In fact, because there we’re two ferries loading simultaneously (Fauntleroy and Southworth), I wasn’t sure which “lane” to go in. I chose wrong. The mean ferry woman yelled at me, “Bicyclist! Get out of my traffic lane! You’re holding up the cars!” Except…there weren’t any cars behind me. “You need to get over into that triangle!” I said, “Happy to do so.” Sheesh!

I parked MC, went up to use the restroom, took this photo, and returned to MC as we were coming into Fauntleroy. 

Somewhat of a dreary day for sure. 

I had pulled out my poncho. It doesn’t work quite as well on MC as it does on Sly. The handlebar is so much wider, that it doesn’t stay hooked over as well (also…FYI…going to the bathroom is kinda tricky…just sayin’). It was okay though, because I really needed to see my Garmin for navigation. I found I could kind of tuck the front of the poncho over the feed bags, so it still covered my legs, but I could still see my Garmin. I put on my Shake Dry jacket so I could have my arms through the holes without getting my sleeves all wet. All in all, it was a satisfactory set up. 

I got off the ferry in West Seattle, and followed bike routes to and across the West Seattle Bridge. I was never not in a bike lane, or on a trail. And, the signage is great!

Heading to the bridge. 

Going across. 

Once I was in the SODO area, I was again in bike lanes, or on actual bike paths. Even where there was construction (by the Colman Dock), they marked off a temporary bike lane. At one point I cut up to 2nd Ave which has a separated bike lane. 

Coming into Seattle on the Portside Trail. 

2nd Ave. (tons of these electric scooters)

There’s the Space Needle

I worked my way along Lake Union to where I crossed the bridge to Fremont. I was getting a little hungry when I spotted a bakery sign. I headed straight to it. When I pulled up, I noticed this. 

It’s a bakery for dogs! Fortunately, they had a small selection of people food. 

I got this spinach and cheese filled bit of goodness. Definitely not dog food!

From the dog bakery, I had a long climb up from Fremont. I went by the zoo. By this time, I was on the Interurban North Trail. It’s not all bike path, but when it’s not, it is bike lane. 

Cool “flip book” signs on the Interurban. 

Finally leaving Seattle, but still on the Interurban Trail. 

Even saw this! Maybe they meant to put walls around it???

I continued going from city to city on the Interurban. Edmonds, Lynnwood, and finally Everett. It was in Everett where I finally left the trail behind (it looked like it continued, but it was time for me to head toward Snohomish). 

Between Everett and Snohomish I followed the Snohomish River. Once I was in Snohomish, I picked up the Centennial Trail. 

This is a great trail!

I departed from the Centennial Trail, and had to do two steep climbs. It was really great to have these two steep (with little to no shoulder) climbs after already riding 50+ miles…okay…not really. But, I made it. 

When I arrived at Flowing Lake County Park, the office was closed. Hmmm…how to find Bob and Janet…? I saw two women, and asked them if there was a tenting area (figured that would narrow it down some). They told me where it was, then I said I was looking for two other cyclists. The one gal said she had seen them, and told me where they were. 

I arrived after 63 miles just before 4:00. Long day, but for all the city riding, it wasn’t too bad. 

Flowing Lake

Our campsite. 

The first thing Janet said to me, when I said I had ridden 63 miles, was that she was intimidated by me. I told her what I tell everyone…I can always go slower, but I can’t always go faster. Her and Bob are a wee bit older than me (Bob is in his 70s). Turns out, I’m the only one with all the days routes downloaded. They said they are glad I’m here. 

Now, I’m going to sleep. I’m tired. Tomorrow will be easier at only 28 miles. 









No comments: