Friday, July 1, 2022

Day 22-On the Road Again!

I got up early and knocked on the door of the post office at 6:45. They had set my box aside. Box in hand, I went back to the hotel doing a happy dance the whole way. Of course, the bike shop still didn’t open until 10:00…

We did the ferrying of bags back over to the shop again. 

Notice what’s different??? There’s a tire there now!!!

Bob opened up, and got right to work on mounting my tire. I had tell him about the Fillmore valve as he had not seen one before. He used my perfectly cut 2 oz bottle to put the sealant in the tire. POP POP POP, and the Almotion tire was seated and ful of air. I also had to put the wheel back on because Bob said he’s only seen one belt drive bike. He ended up charging me for the sealant, and just $5 for setting it up. He wasn’t going to charge me any labor, but I told him he did get the tire on and seated. 

Loaded the bags back on, and I was out the door at 10:30!

Welcome back Schwalbe Almotion tire!

Our plan was to try to make it to the town of Halfway (halfway to what, I do not know). We did have the option of stopping in Richland. We had a couple of climbs getting to Richland, but nothing too bad. It was mostly downhill. Saw some Oregon Trail history along the way. 





The ruts. One does wonder how it is after all this time, they are still there…

We had views of mountains much of the day. Not really sure which mountains they are…maybe the Wallowas???

Mountains with snow. 

Long road in the hot sun. 

At least mostly downhill. 

It was about 12:30, and I was looking for some shade to have some lunch. Found this small patch. Doug made himself a wrap, I just had a Pro bar. 

Small amount of shade. 

Of course, about a half mile further there was a nice shady driveway…you never know what’s in front of you. 

We rolled into Richland at 2:30ish. We made a beeline for the cafe. 

I had a peach smoothie and a piece of coconut cake. When I went to pay for it, the gal said I only owed $1.25 because some cyclists (westbounders…I saw them) had given $10 for the next cyclist who came by! How nice was that???

We stayed until 3:00, filled our water bottles with ice and water, and decided to push on to Halfway. There was a heck of a climb right out of Richland. While it wasn’t the steepest climb we’ve done, it was entirely in full sun. It was about 7 miles long. I was taking more and more breaks. 

Doug continuing the climb. 

Looking back to Brownlee Reservoir, and Richland. This was really just the beginning of the climb. 

We finally reached the summit. There was even a sign!

That was so hot!

Coming down the other side, I got up to 39.9 mph! I think that’s my fastest so far on this trip (it’s nice to have a reliable rear tire). 

The town of Halfway is off route a mile. 

There is a motel/RV park that allows camping. At the RV park, a couple told us we needed to go register at the motel office. We rode there, but no one was around. I called the number, but ended up just leaving a message. We went back to the RV park. Where that same couple (her name is Delphie) told us cyclists usually stay on site 6 or 7. The problem was that you have to have a key for the restrooms and showers. Delphie said we could use theirs because they don’t need it (they live here in their RV for the summer, and winter in Arizona). As we were setting up our tents, Delphie came over with a big bowl of rhubarb crisp with whip cream and two spoons. It was delicious!!!

It was great to be back on the road today, but I’m looking forward to getting an earlier start tomorrow. We have a good size climb, and it would be nice to hit that in cooler temps. 









No comments: