Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Day 39-A Windy Day Off

We said goodbye to Jordan as he was moving on. 

It’s been fun, Jordan!

Doug and I gathered our shower stuff, and rode the half mile to the shower building. It was good to have a shower after three nights without (good to get the layers of DEET off my legs). After dropping our shower stuff back at the campsite, we went off to have ourselves some brunch at the big restaurant. 

Brunch with a view of Yellowstone Lake. 

After a huge brunch, we rolled over to the Visitor Center. I was hoping to have wifi to upload posts, but turns out there is no public wifi in the entire park. I also wanted to send some postcards, but there is no longer a post office in Grant Village (can’t get anyone to work it). 

From the Visitor Center

You can’t mail postcards, but you can rent kayaks. 

The wind picked up, blowing dust everywhere. Glad we weren’t riding today. My eyes have been irritated. Good thing I have moisture eye drops!

Still feeling very full from brunch, we roads back to the campsite…and took a two hour nap! I’m sure it wasn’t just the food, but also not having had a day off since Baker City. 

After the nap attack, we went over to the Yellowstone General Store. We needed to supplement our food supply with a few things for the next few days. I also got a couple of t-shirts for my grandkids. Yes, I’ll have to carry them until, probably, Dubois.  

This is the 150th Anniversary of Yellowstone. I got a sticker for my bike. 

These flags are all over the park. 

In our way back, we checked out the picnic area. 





We found a trail down to the lakeside. 



We think these were some type of pelican. 

When we returned to our site, we had new guests. Erik and his daughter, Marlane, are from the Netherlands, and Matthew is from Portland. Erik is riding a Priority 600X. Marlane has a belt drive with a Rohloff. They are the first belt drive bikes we’ve seen on this trip! 

At brunch we had made reservations for dinner. We had decided a nice dinner was in order for our day off. 

Spinach ravioli with roasted red and yellow tomatoes, roasted artichoke hearts, and mushrooms in a puttanesca sauce. Yep, it was delicious!

Now we must prepare for moving on tomorrow. It’s been a good day off…rest and exploring. Today’s mileage was all of 6ish miles. 






No comments: