Friday, July 29, 2022

Day 50-You May Think the Horseshoe Isn’t Working

We had great plans of going over Hoosier Pass today. We got on the road at 7:00…or I should say, bike path. We continued on the path toward Frisco. 

Still riding along the Dillon Reservoir. 

We rode into Frisco, following the route. As we climbed up a steep little rise, there was a “ping” from Doug’s bike. He said, “What was that?” I could see he had broken a rear spoke. I looked up bike shops in Breckinridge (shop in Frisco wasn’t open yet). There were several, and all would be open by the time we rode the 8.8 more miles there. He wrapped and taped the broken spoke to the spoke next to it, and we continued on. 

Now between towns. 

Such a nice path. 

It was definitely uphill all the way to Breckinridge. We finished the trail, and rode onto Main Street. Unfortunately, we came out further along Main, and had to turn around to get to the bike shop. The guy at the shop couldn’t help Doug because he was already about 5 days out on repairs. Next we went to Avalanche Sports. The gal there said there were 12 bikes ahead of us. We continued on to Carver Bike shop. Their wheel builder said he could get to it today, but might not have it done until 6:00. That was better news than we’d heard so far. We left his bike there. 

In our back and forths on Main St, we had passed a donut place. We walked back there with Tilmann. 

Of course I had donuts, but I also had biscuits and gravy with hash browns…a proper 2nd breakfast. 

We knew we wouldn’t have time to get up the Pass (plus a storm is supposed to roll in), so I started looking for where we could stay. There was a Warmshowers host nearby, so I sent a message. Then I found a hostel on the route just outside of town. It was only $55/person for a shared bunk room. I rode to check it out. It was quite the climb (of course everything is going up). I booked us in. Then I texted Doug to tell him. I told him I didn’t think I wanted to ride all the way down, then have to ride all the way back up. 

So, while it might have been unlucky to break a spoke, the fact that it happened where it did, instead of…say, half way up Hoosier Pass, made it more lucky. The clouds are rolling in now. Tomorrow, we will have less than 11 miles to the top of the Pass. So…I’m going with the lucky horseshoe working again!




No comments: