Monday, July 4, 2022

Day 25-Giving My Legs a Break…

…from the sun. It rained a bit through the night, and was windy as all get out. This morning, the rain was mostly gone, and the wind had dried the tents. Still, it wasn’t looking good for a sunny day. 

Definitely not looking like a sunny day. 

I got out of my tent at about 5:30, and saw this. 

None of these were here when we went to bed last night (you can see our campsite to the right)! It was a bunch of guys who had just finished a week long rafting trip on the Salmon River. They came in about 10:00pm. I didn’t hear a thing. 

We got going at 7:30. Today was going to be just shy of 60 miles, but most of it was downhill. It started sprinkling shortly into the ride. I thought maybe it would quit. It didn’t. For the first time in many days, I pulled out “Flap Flap” the Duck (aka, my poncho). I flap flapped my way down the road. 

We left the Little Salmon River behind, and started following the Big Salmon (actually, it’s just the Salmon). 

Little Salmon River

One very strong stick! It’s been holding up that rock for at least 6 years, as it was there before when I rode by. 

After the giant rock being held up by the stick, there is a Rest Area called Sheep Creek. We pulled in for a snack break. I kid you not, just as I was telling Doug about the flat tire I had had 6 years ago when I was riding through here, I looked over at his bike, and noticed the rear tire was flat (sorry Doug)!

So sorry I said, “Flat tire”.

Of course, it was a pesky staple!

He had it changed pretty quickly. We were about ready to get going again, when 3 tour buses pulled in and puked out a mess of high school kids. One of the adults said they were going to a church camp in Moscow, ID. He said earlier they had 11 buses pull in. That’s a lot for one Rest Area restroom to handle! The kids were scattered everywhere! We decided it was time to push on. I had taken Flap Flap off, but as soon as we got back on the road, it started raining again. Back to looking like a duck. 

We went straight through Riggins, and started the ride through the canyon along the Salmon. 

Oh look, now we gain an hour! 

The Salmon River at the time zone (half the river is flowing an hour earlier).

As we were riding along, I saw Fiddle Creek. That jogged my memory. Wait, I thought, there is a Farmstand called Fiddle Creek. I wasn’t sure if it would be open (by the way, Happy 4th of July). I kept saying in my head, “Be open be open be open.” It was! I finally got a slice of huckleberry pie!

It was delicious!

We continued along the river, making good time (especially since we gained an hour). We went by the old mine. 

Joint venture???

We also went by this “Geological Site”.



Just think, the river was once way up high (probably before they built the highway).

Speaking of the highway, today was some of the best highway riding we’ve had (especially on Hwy 95). It was a smooth, debris free shoulder for most of the day. It’s quite nice not having to weave in and out of the lane. I think we get a better reaction from the drivers. 

We had a couple of shortish climbs before we got off onto Old 95 to go to Swiftwater RV Park. Pam and Bill are the new owners. I told Pam I had stayed here twice in 2016. Everything is pretty much the same, except the price has gone up to $12 from $10. 

We also met Russ and Nancy. Russ is also doing Trans Am, but going westbound. Nancy is following him, but he doesn’t see her everyday. They don’t always stay in the same places. Nancy is getting to have her own adventure too, which is pretty cool. 

We did our laundry, and chatted with Russ, exchanging stories. We got some great intel on what’s ahead, and gave him some tips too. 

This is another memorable 4th of July because I’ve stayed here before. 

The view from my tent. 










No comments: