Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Apr 5: A Meander Through the Meander Valley

Today was a short day, just 50km. That was good because my back decided to give me some problems. I’ve been doing stretches every morning, but I guess, coupled with yesterday’s climbing, it wasn’t enough. 

 

I was hoping I wouldn’t have to leave Launceston on the main highway. Thanks to the Pocket Earth app I have on my iPad, I saw that I didn’t have to. It was still a climb to get out of Launceston, but at least not on the main highway. The road was B54, but it is also called the Meander Hwy. It pretty much paralleled the Bass Hwy, going through all the small towns along the way to Deloraine. 

 

The first town was not exactly on B54, but I went through it anyway. It was Hadspen. There wasn’t much there. Next up was Carrick. I stopped for a snack. There was this cool building. 

Building in Carrick

 

 

The region was where the flour mills used to be. In Westbury, the largest town (along with Deloraine) had a bakery that I stopped at. On the wall was information telling about the milling history. 

Old Hotel in Westbury

 

 

I arrived in Deloraine at noon. The caravan park that I’m staying at is on the Meander River. I’m camped about 10 feet from the edge of the river. A couple of black swans keep paddling by. The caretaker says there are platypus in the river. Hopefully, I’ll see them this evening. 

My campsite by the Meander River

 

 

 

Tomorrow I’ll make it back to Devonport. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to do a short stretch on the Bass Hwy. It looks like only about 5km, then I can get off onto another “B” road. It would be nice if my back feels better...

No comments: