Sunday, April 8, 2018

Apr 8: Off to Sydney

Nat picked me up at the ferry last night. We loaded Tilmann and the panniers into the back of the car. It was great to see Nat again. Ian was at a Buck’s Party (the equivalent of a Bachelor Party) for a mate. We stopped for some groceries, then headed home. 

 

My flight to Sydney was not until 4:10. I dried out my tent, and, borrowing a backpack and a purse, packed my few clothes and whatnot for Sydney. We left for the airport at about 1:15ish. 

 

There are four terminals at Melbourne Airport. I thought I was departing from T2. Terminals 1, 2, and 3 are all together. Terminal 4 is kind of separate. We pulled up to Departures at T1, 2, and 3. Then...I looked at my confirmation. Nope, I needed Terminal 4. Nat and I determined it would be easier for me to walk back to T4, than to drive around. I started walking toward T4. I could look down and see the restaurants and stuff in T4, but not how to get down there. Then, I could see a sign down there that said T3 with an arrow. Ah ha, I could get to T4 through T3! I went in to T3 and followed the signs to T4. I went through a security checkpoint (interestingly, I did not have to show any ID or a boarding pass). Voila! I was in T4. Just one problem...I didn’t have a boarding pass. So, I had to go out toward baggage claim to get to ticketing to print my boarding pass, then go through a different security checkpoint to get back into where I could go to the gate. Fortunately, I had plenty of time. Again, going through security, I did not have to show a boarding pass or ID. So, it seems that even if you don’t have a boarding pass, you can still go to the gates. Curious...

Boarding Pass in hand!

 

 

Heading to the plane

 

The Coast near Sydney

 

I arrived in Sydney, and using the airport WiFi, I messaged Patch to tell him I had landed and was on my way. I found the taxis, hopped in one, and arrived about 20 minutes later at Patch and Michaela’s place. It was great to finally meet both of them in person! My friend Katie, Patch’s cousin, connected us a long time before I actually made it to Australia. From the beginning he was very welcoming about me coming to Sydney. 

 

 

Michaela got home, and we had a great evening chatting and eating pizza. Patch has fixed me up with a card that I can use on the busses and trains here in Sydney. Tomorrow I will start exploring this big city.