Tuesday, April 17, 2018

(Backup) Apr 17: People Flying, GOR, and the Most Chocolate I’ve Ever Seen

Somehow, this morning I managed to catch the 8:00 ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff (the Mornington Peninsula to the Bellarine Peninsula). That turned out to be a very good thing because today was almost as long as yesterday at 91kms. The ferry ride was 45 minutes. 
Mercifully, not so much wind today.

I didn’t spend any time in Queenscliff. I just wanted to get to the Great Ocean Road. I got onto the road that becomes GOR just outside of Torquay. As I was riding toward the town (and the ocean), I met a guy named Rodney who was riding from Geelong to Torquay to visit his parents for the day. We only chatted for a short time as he turned off shortly after he caught up to me. 

It was nearly lunch by the time I arrived in Torquay, so I opted for Subway since it was right there (and it generally works well for me when I still have a lot of riding to do). I can’t exactly remember if this photo was just after Torquay, but it was my first real view (not counting the ferry) of the ocean.

Then I didn’t see the ocean for awhile. Oh, before I came into Torquay, I saw these skydivers.
I toyed with the idea of finding out where I could do it, but decided against it.

I was riding along the Great Ocean Road, but not seeing the ocean. Then I saw a sign for the Chocolateria. Well, that could be much better than the ocean!
 
Quite the large place!

Funny sign

Not real chocolate!

Real chocolate!

Chocolate making in progress.

That’s a long bar of chocolate!

There was every kind of chocolate you can imagine. I got one small chocolate, an apricot, caramel, covered in chocolate. I apologize for eating it before I took a photo. I got a macadamia, coconut, milk chocolate bar, and a four pack of some interesting flavor bars. It was hard to restrict myself!

In Anglesea, I was officially going along the ocean. There was only one section that wasn’t within view of the ocean. Here’s some photos.





I can’t believe I got this shot!

I stopped at several lookouts. Finally, I figured I’d better stop stopping, or I’d never get to Lorne before dark! Not too far out of Lorne I saw more people flying. This time, paragliders.

At one point the orange one went right over my head.

I also went through the original arch of the Great Ocean Road.

Tilmann was just itching to go under it.

Finally, I arrived in Lorne. Some crimson rosella parrots flew along with me for a bit, and then I saw this sulphur crested white cockatoo.

Pretty bird!

There are many of them at the caravan park. They truly are squawkatoos! I also saw a few more crimson rosellas. I wish I could get a good photo.

I’m glad I paid nothing for last night’s camping, because tonight is $35! I’m sure this trend will continue while I’m on the GOR. It is a popular road. Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the best days on the GOR. I’m glad it’s shorter. I hope the sun comes out. Yesterday, I took my Da Brim off my helmet because the wind was too strong. Today I didn’t bother to put it back on. Maybe tomorrow...










No comments: