Friday, April 20, 2018

(Backup) (Backup) Apr 19: KOALAS!!!

Oh geez, I’ve gone and given away one of the best parts of today! For such a short day of riding (37km), there was a lot of awesomeness. 

It all started with a plan, then I changed the plan, then I changed the plan again! The original plan was to ride from Apollo Bay to Lavers Hill. Not a long day distance-wise, but a fair amount of climbing. Then I noticed that from Lavers Hill to Port Campbell, my next stop, was almost all downhill, and still not a long day. I decided to combine the two days and go all the way to Port Campbell (about 97km). Ah, but then, I really wanted to go to the Otway Lighthouse. That was 24km roundtrip off route. Then I thought, why not go to the lighthouse, then stay at the caravan park near there, then go through Lavers Hill to Port Campbell tomorrow! So, that became the plan. 

There, indeed, was a lot of climbing leaving Apollo Bay. The GOR turned inland. Here’s a look back at the bay.

Continuing on up.

I wanted to stop at Maits Rest, and have a walk through the rainforest. It was just a short 800m circuit, but it was nice. Tall eucalyptus trees, myrtle, and the big fern trees.






Back on the bike, I only had a few more kilometers before the turn to Otway Lighthouse. There was a sign saying “Road Work”. They weren’t kidding. More than half of the distance to the caravan park was dirt/mud road. Fortunately, even though it was pretty wet, it was hardpacked. 

Waiting to go through.

I made the turn to Bimbi Park. It is another one of those part caravan park, part adventure park. There is mini golf, a climbing wall, horseback rides, etc. it is also popular with the backpackers as it is very near the Great Ocean Walk (about 100km walk). As I was riding along the dirt road to the park, I saw some people stopped with their cameras out. Of course, I stopped too. It was a KOALA in the tree! 

Not such a good photo, but wait, there’s more!

I continued down the road, and spotted another KOALA! This one was much closer.





Isn’t it just the cutest! 

Well, I’ll tell you, that totally made my day! I can now check KOALA off my list (but I would love to see more). I told the lady in the office that I had seen two koalas. She said they get them in the park too. 

I set up my tent (it was very wet from this morning’s dew), unloaded everything off Tilmann except my handlebar bag, and decided to ride the walking path to the lighthouse. The lady in the office had told me about it. I was going to take the road, but then I thought I should be able to do this. So, off I went. It was glorious gravel road for the first bit, then it turned to bumpy grassy semi-double track. Then I came to the stairs. 

Oh, that’s right, she did mention stairs. Oops, forgot about that!

I managed to heft Tilmann up, then down the other side. I popped out into the car park for the lighthouse. I forgot to bring my lock, but the lady in the gift shop/ticket place said I could bring Tilmann inside the gate where he would be safe. I paid my admission fee ($19.50), and headed to the lighthouse. It is still a functioning lighthouse, but there is no longer a Keeper. It has quite the history. I was mostly interested in going to the top.

Cape Otway Lighthouse

Nice view from the top.

Oh look! It’s me!

There were other structures to see on the grounds. There was this cool whale sculpture too.




All along I had been seeing these signs.


I thought they were there to keep people from running all over the grounds. But, then as I was starting to walk to the Aboriginal Talking Hut, I saw this.

Okay, okay...signs are for real!

I did not go to the Aboriginal Talking Hut...I decided my time was finished at the lighthouse. I rode the road back to Bimbi. 

After finishing setting up my camp, and showering, I decided to check out the kitchen facilities. On the way, I saw these three Gallahs.

Cool birds.
Then I finally got a photo of these King Parrots ( at least that’s what a lady told me they were).

I see these when I’m riding.

So, for such a short day, I sure saw a lot of things! I am most excited about the KOALAS!











No comments: