Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Apr 10: A Day Spent Traversing the Harbor

NOTE*—I’ve been having trouble getting the app to publish photos. It appears everything is saving, but when I publish, nothing is there—no text and no photos. I can copy and paste the text again, but it takes too long to try and do the photos again. So...if you only read my blog through Blogger, and we are not friends on Facebook, please send me a friend request. I am able to put photos on Facebook much easier. You’ll be able to read the blog post on Facebook as I always share the post to Facebook. The photos will be in a separate FB post. Sorry for the inconvenience, I need to find a better way.

 

On with today’s adventures! I headed out on my own today with my Opal card in hand, and a plan to use it to take a ferry or two. Once I got down to the wharf at Circular Quay, I checked the ferry schedule to see which ferry was leaving the soonest, the one to Manly, or the one to Cockatoo Island. Well, Manly was the winner, so I hopped that ferry first. I took a few more photos of the Opera House from the water angle.

 

The ride to Manly was about 30 minutes. Manly (and Manly Beach) is on the eastern side of the opening of the harbor. Once off the ferry, I headed straight to Manly Beach. It’s a very nice beach, with several surfers (and a surf school too). I took off my shoes and socks so I could dip my toes in the water and see how cold it was. While not bath water warm, it would have been swimable. And, there were people swimming and snorkeling. 

 

I walked along the beach exfoliating the soles of my feet in the sand. At the end, I put my shoes and socks back on, and walked the Foreshore Path to Shelly Beach. It was a smaller beach in a more protected cove, good for swimming. Along the path, there were little sculptures in the rock wall. 

 

I enjoyed a pineapple/coconut popsicle as I walked back to Manly Beach. There was also a swimming pool (saltwater I’m sure) right on the Coast. I think it would be great for kids, but there were some adults swimming when I went by the second time. Oh, and Flat Will enjoyed Manly Beach too.

 

As it was after noon, and I was a bit hungry, I stopped at one of the take-aways along the Corso (a pedestrian mall of various shops and restaurants) between the beach and the wharf. It was a Greek place. I had a cheese Gozleme. It was a grilled dough with cheese inside. It was good, but absolutely huge. I could only manage to eat half of it. It would have easily fed two people.

 

Back at the wharf, I only had to wait a short time before the ferry arrived to go back. This time I was one of the first on the ferry, so I had a nice seat outside.

 

Once the ferry arrived back at Circular Quay, I walked down to the appropriate wharf for the ferry to Cockatoo Island. This was a much faster ferry and only about a 20 minute ride more north (and under the Harbor Bridge). It, like a train, had multiple stops. Cockatoo Island was the second stop after Bangaroo.

 

The island has a convict and ship building history. It is unique in that it has camping on the island. You can bring your own tent, or they have a tent village of tents you can rent. There is also an art exhibition going on right now. The various exhibits are in the old buildings of the island. There is also the history of the island. As I walked around, there would be part art exhibit, and part history lessons. 

 

It really only took about an hour to walk around the island. What I really liked was the flowers. I took a few photos.

 

After making the loop around, I returned to the wharf with just 11 minutes until the next ferry arrived. Perfect timing! The ferry again stopped at Bangaroo.

 

By the time I got back to Circular Quay, it was about 3:30. I walked back to the Opera House, this time to see about a tour. I had just missed an English one. I could have gone on a Mandarin one, but I don’t think that would have been too helpful...Instead, I perused the gift shop, then headed over to the Botanical Gardens. 

 

I did a stroll through the gardens, but I have to admit, I was getting pretty tired of walking. I looped through and out a gate that I could work my way back to the Quay, and to the train back to Marrickville. I managed to catch a bus, and even got off at the closest stop to Patch and Michaela’s! I’m getting good at this public transpo business! 

 

 

It’s just Patch and I tonight as Michaela has to work late. Tomorrow is an all-day adventure to the Blue Mountains. I have to be in the city by 6:40am. I’ve got my plan though...

No comments: