Monday, April 23, 2018

Apr 24: Thunderstorm, Sinkholes, and Meeting Up With a New Friend

I didn’t have far to go today to get to Mt. Gambier, but the weather was less than cooperative. As soon as I left Nelson, it started to rain. I thought I had heard thunder in the distance, but it was sunny, so I wasn’t sure (maybe it was the surf or something). It was thunder. As the storm passed over, there were cracks of thunder and lightning. As I’ve done in the past, I just kept chanting to myself, “Just don’t be the highest thing!” Ahead, I could see blue sky, but by the time I got to it, it was gone. At least it wasn’t raining anymore...for awhile.

I crossed into South Australia.

This is my 4th Australian State (Tasmania, Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia). 

The rain began again about 10kms out of Mt. Gambier. However, by the time I rolled into town (on a nice bike path) it had stopped. I was following the directions to where I am staying tonight, when I went by a Subway. Even though it was early (SA is 1/2 hour earlier than Victoria), I decided to go ahead and check a SA Subway off my list. 


So, I had not originally planned to stay in Mt. Gambier, but Dorothy (from Hobart) emailed me saying she would be in Mt. Gambier on the 24th. She gave me the address of where they would be staying. I rode there after my early lunch. The key was supposed to be in the letter box, or the meter box. It was in neither place. I texted Dorothy. She located who had the key. I went to the grocery store while I was waiting for the key to be dropped off. Rod came by just after I got back. He opened up the house. From what I understand, a friend is moving in here, but she hasn’t moved in yet. Unfortunately, there is no power. At least the water is on. Hey, it’s just like camping, only in a house! Dorothy and...Frances (?) will be here about 5:00.

I dropped all my stuff in the house, and went to the Umpherston Sinkhole. This whole area basically sits over a bunch of caves and sinkholes. It’s called the Limestone Coast. 




It’s all pretty weird, but cool. There is another sinkhole right in the center of town called the Cave Gardens. 


Not far from the house is a cave called Engelbrech Cave. I went there to do a tour, but no one else showed up, and they only do the tour if there are at least two people. It would have been cool because this cave has water (divers have explored it). I still think it’s weird that there is a town sitting above all these caves. One would hope they don’t collapse...

Now I am back at the house waiting for Dorothy and her sister to arrive. 



No comments: