Friday, April 20, 2018

(Backup) Apr 20: Holy Hoards of Humanity Batman!

This morning as I left Bimbi, I was hoping to see a koala again, but alas, no. I was also hoping to get going through the construction before the workers got there, but alas, also no. In fact, there was a section of new muddy gravel that was so soft, I had to walk. At least the flatters were great about waiting for me before letting other cars through.

Back out on the Great Ocean Road, I had some great downhill, then a flat section, then the beginning of the rest of my morning climbing. Just after the first small bit was Castle Cove Lookout. 

Getting tired of these Coast photos yet?

Looking back at the nice flat valley...goodbye flat *sigh*.

I climbed almost continually until the town of Lavers Hill. I was very glad to get to the top. There was a cafe where I decided I’d take a break and eat some lunch. They had bird feeders. Now I know the difference between the Crimson Rosella and the King Parrot. People have been steering me wrong. What I was previously told was the King Parrot is actually the Crimson Rosella. 
This has to be right...right?
There were both birds at the feeders.

Don’t you wish you had birds like this at your bird feeders (if you have bird feeders)?

Can’t really tell, but these are King Parrots.

I met a woman who offered to let me stay with her if I had been staying in Lavers Hill. Her name was Ginny. She was a character! She thought my Da Brim was awesome.

From Lavers Hill, it was supposed to be all downhill. Well, that wasn’t entirely true. However, there was far more downhill than uphill. At the top there was this expansive view of, seemingly, all of Australia.

It looks flat, but I think that is deceptive.

My next destination was the Twelve Apostles. They are sandstone formations just off the Coast. It was about 12km before Port Campbell, so near the end of my day. I could see that I was getting close. At one point, I could see the path out to the lookout. It was packed with people! P
See the pathway on the right?

The Twelve Apostles is probably the most iconic part of the Great Ocean Road. I’d say that’s true. Holy hoards of people, Batman! It was crazy! Still I stopped and locked up Tilmann to do the walk amongst the hoard. 
Ya gotta watch out for those selfie sticks! I got whacked by one. 

I managed to get some photos.

I don’t count 12.

Here’s a couple more.

Here’s some Apostles...and Flat Will.

The light is supposed to be better in the morning. Maybe the crowds would be better too. Sadly, I won’t find out.

I was riding the rest of the way to Port Campbell when I saw this echidna on the side of the road. After taking photos, I tried to encourage him to get back in the bushes away from the road. I even made up a little song for him. It’s to the tune of Little Peter Rabbit Had a Fly Upon His Nose. It goes like this:
Little Spiny Anteater go on get off the road
Little Spiny Anteater go on get off the road
Little Spiny Anteater go on get off the road
Go into the bushes so you’ll live another day!


All my efforts to get him to go into the bushes didn’t work. I hope he eventually went, instead of trying to cross the road.

Tonight I’m staying at the Port Campbell Holiday Park. I’ve met the people next to me. Jen is very nice. They are from Melbourne. I also met a young couple in the kitchen. They’ve just left Sydney to travel around Australia.
















1 comment:

Drink Recipes said...

Hi great reaading your post