Friday, April 6, 2018

Apr 6: A Pleasant Day Closing the Loop

Yes, I have completed my tour around Tasmania! But, let’s go back to last night for a moment.

 

For just the second time on this tour, I camped with another cyclist. His name was Stefan, and he was from Switzerland. He is spending his time touring around Tassie, then going to do a short bit on the mainland from Sydney to Brisbane. He was an interesting guy, very opinionated, but fun to talk to.

 

I also did see a platypus! The “resident” platypus showed up about 5:15 or so. I tried to get a photo, but you might have to use your imagination. Or, you can look at this other one I saw in Latrobe.

He’s out there, I promise!

 

Certainly you can see this one!

 

 

One thing Stefan warned me about were the ducks and the trains (okay, that’s two). He was absolutely right! Fortunately, I had my earplugs! The ducks! Don’t they ever sleep??? There were just a few trains, but without my earplugs, I would have had to peel myself off the roof of my tent! 

One of a few trains

 

 

And there was this black swan visitor!

 

Even though I took my time this morning, I still managed to leave about 7:30. Stefan was still in his tent, so I didn’t get to say goodbye.

Nice view this morning.

 

 

I had a great route out of town. I was on a couple of nearly one lane roads with zero traffic. I could have done a couple other “C” roads and have completely avoided Bass Hwy. In hindsight, that would have been a good idea. Even the short time on Bass Hwy was unpleasant. I breathed a sigh of relief when I turned off onto a “B” road. 

A nice quiet “C” road

 

 

Riding through farmland

 

Similar to yesterday, I rode through a few small towns. I stopped in Railton for a mid-morning snack. I had to go 2km off route to get to Latrobe, but I wanted to check it out. I ate some lunch there. I went to the Axeman’s craft makers place, but it didn’t appear to be open. 

 

From Latrobe, I only had 13km to go to Devonport. I went past where I had turned to head to my first day’s ride on Tassie. I had closed the loop! Now, I just had to remember where to get back on the bike path that would take me all the way into Devonport.

Ahhh...there it is!

Along the road, I saw a police officer. I waved, but didn’t think much of it. Then, when I got onto the path, and came around to a car park, there was another police officer. This one was out of his rig, and said something like, “You’ve done it. You’ve completed Tassie.” Oh, it was Chris! I didn’t recognize him at first, but then I remembered he said he was a police officer. Plus, no one else would know me here! 

 

We chatted for a bit, then he went back to work, and I continued on to his house. 

 

His son, Alex, was home when I arrived. I confused the poor lad for a moment, but then he figured out I was the guest that was coming for the night. He helped me get my bags and Tilmann into the house. I showered, did laundry, and chatted with Alex for a bit. He’s a really nice young man. 

 

 

I’m not sure what the rest of the evening will hold, but I know I’m sleeping in a warm bed, in a warm house, with no loud ducks or trains. I’ve got an early boat to catch tomorrow. I’ll do a wrap up of Tassie while I’m on the boat (it’s a loooonnngggg boat ride).

No comments: