Sunday, April 22, 2018

(Backup) Apr 22: Giving My Eyes a Break From the Spectacular Scenery

Which is to say, there wasn’t much to look at today, but that was okay. Sometimes I just want to pedal. Today, I did that. It was my longest day at 97 kilometers. If I had gone all the way into Portland, it would have been about 103. It was pretty flat almost the entire day. I don’t think I used my easiest gear at all.
Flat flat flat!

Plus, the wind was either nonexistent, or somewhat behind me. It was quite overcast when I left Warrnambool, but the clouds eventually burned off, and it was blue sky and about 27 Celsius.


I don’t know if you can tell, but these cockatoos have red on them—a different breed.

As I was riding along the Princes Hwy (aka A1), nearing the town of Port Fairy, I saw a sign for a rail trail. It turns out the trail went all the way from Warrnambool to Port Fairy. Had I known, I would have definitely ridden it. As it was, I got to ride about the last kilometer into Port Fairy. 


In Port Fairy, I found a bakery to stop and have a snack. As I was eating, I saw Jen and her husband (still don’t know his name) walk by. They are the couple I camped next to at Port Campbell. I ran outside and called, “Jen!” It took a couple of times before they turned around (you never think someone is calling for you because you don’t know anyone). They had stayed last night in Port Fairy, and were staying tonight there too before going on to Portland. It’s always so funny to see someone again who is driving.

I saw two touring cyclists today going the other way. The first one didn’t stop, but the second one did. Damian is from Poland, and he is cycling from Perth to Sydney (and doing a short bit on Tassie too), before then going to New Zealand. He left Perth 55 days ago. He’s doing about 100km/day. His goal is to ride to the highest point in each country (and maybe state in Oz). He’s the first person I’ve seen carrying more than me!

Yes, that’s 6 panniers, a rack bag, and a handlebar bag!

As I was nearing Portland, I saw ahead a big hill. Then, to my left, I saw a sign that said “Portland via Dutton Rd.” I thought to myself, big hill or go left? I went left. I came to Henty Bay Caravan Park. Since my route tomorrow is not actually from Portland itself, I decided to call it a day here. It’s a nice place on the beach. The owners are nice too. One guy, Brenno, showed me where I could set up my tent, and talked to me for awhile. Here’s the view from my tent.

Nicely sheltered from most of the wind.

I think I will be possibly able to do more distance now that it is quite flat (as long as the wind cooperates). 




No comments: