Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Apr 26: Not Much of an Entertaining Day

It rained off and on throughout the night, so I thought I would be prepared by putting my shoe covers on. It wasn’t actually raining, so I just made sure my raingear was on the top. The sun managed to come out, so I took the shoe covers off in the first little town I came to. I also took the opportunity to use the toilet. I thought the sign on the door was pretty funny.


There was also this sign about the history of Rendelsham’s Chicory industry.


Rendelsham was the only town I actually went through on my way to Robe. Besides these signs, there wasn’t much else to the town. Beachport was off the highway a bit, so I didn’t go into the town. I didn’t really need anything. 

The route was not terribly interesting. I saw the odd dead kangaroo, so I spent much of the day looking for live kangaroos. I didn’t see any. I saw a sign for wombats. I kept an eye out for them too. I didn’t see any. The only live wildlife I saw was a fox. It was sunning itself on the side of the road. I thought it was dead, but then it jumped up and took off into the bush. I think foxes are considered vermin here. A few days ago, I saw a few signs talking about saving the small animals by managing the fox population. Then I saw the grossest thing ever, well, I smelled it first. It was a fence line with dead foxes hung up on all the fence posts. They were in various states of decay. It was disgusting. 

Anyway, the only other animals were sheep and cattle. 

No kangaroos or wombats here.

Even though there weren’t really any towns/services, there are these pullouts for rest breaks. They seem to be mostly for trucks, but they generally have a picnic table and a trash bin.


There are also these kinds of signs.

How’s that for a bit of alliteration?

Even though I rode almost 80km, I still arrived in Robe around 12:30. There just wasn’t much reason to stop for any length of time. Still, I was ready to be done. In the small town of Robe, there appears to be 4 caravan parks. The first was a Discovery Park. It was still a couple of kilometers out of town, so I didn’t stay there (they are also usually more expensive). The second one appeared to be closed. The third one, called Lakeview (curiously, the same name as the one I stayed at in Millicent last night) looked pretty good. It is actually on a lake, but I haven’t figured out how to get a good view of the lake. My campsite is right next to the lake, but there are thick bushes blocking access.

I was hungry, so I dropped everything at my campsite, and rode to town for a late lunch. 

The next couple of days are going to be different as I don’t think there are any caravan parks. That means no WiFi, probably no showers, no camp kitchen...*sigh*

No comments: