Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Day 69-Whew! Those Were Some Steep Hills!

We managed to get everything dry in time for today’s ride. No sunrise photo today though, because it was a bit foggy (probably would have been tough to see a sunrise anyway what with all the hills).

There was, however, this nice view. 

The map had said from Eminence to Ellington it was mostly uphill, starting with a 5 mile climb. I’m not so sure about the 5 mile climb…I mean, I’m sure there was at least 5 miles of climbing, but when I think of a 5 mile climb, I think 5 miles without any down. There was some down…not for very long, but it wasn’t a constant climb. Those climbs though…they were steep steep steep! I hit 15% on at least three of them! There were several 10-12% hills too. In fact, when it was 9%, that seemed easy! The overall elevation gain over 56 total miles was 4653ft. That is a new record for Doug. 

We had some awesome downhills, mainly to cross rivers. The main river was the Current River. 

Down to the river!

Current River looking South. 

Looking North. 

Shortly after the river was Powder Mill. We turned in to check it out. Well, there’s nothing there now except campsites and river access. However, there was a reason we went down there. As we rode by the vault toilets, I noticed two dogs curled up in front of one of the restroom doors. When we turned around and we’re headed back, they were still there. They appeared to have been abandoned. They were pit bulls, one a female who had had many puppies, it appeared, and the other a young male (probably the female’s pup). They didn’t look too thin, but the mama was shaking. I had two packets of chicken which I gave them. They lapped it up in a hurry! Both were friendly, but looked very sad. I felt so bad for them. 

When we left, they curled back up by the door. The female had a collar on. The male didn’t. I hope someone finds them and rescues them. 

Back on the road, we continued the climbs with an especially steep one going up from the river. We had one jerk of a truck driver (that’s keeping it clean for the blog, my thoughts were less so) who blared a horn that sounded like a train, and passed both of us waaaay too close! I was so mad! It put the fire in my legs, and I was really hoping I’d see the truck in Ellington. If I had, I would have given that jerk a piece of my mind he would not soon forget! I also would have gotten his license plate, and called the police. We’ve had many people tell us these roads through the Ozarks are dangerous, but we have found the drivers to be very considerate and safe (except for the jerk today). There are times when a driver could get by us, but they wait until their view is clear. This is cars and trucks! 

Anyway, in Ellington, we had second breakfast. 

The French Toast Special came with two slices of French toast, two eggs, two strips of bacon, and a sausage patty. I asked if I could not have the eggs and sausage, and instead have extra French toast. It was practically a whole loaf! Yes, I ate every bit of it!

Our next town was Centerville. Unfortunately, nothing appeared to be open. I could have gone for a bottle of something to drink…

Today’s destination was Johnson’s Shut-Ins State Park. Unusual name, right? 

Turns out, the Johnsons donated the land for the park, and Shut-Ins refers to the rock formations (you feel like you are “shut in”).

This is our first Missouri State Park, and it is a very nice one! The hosts say this is ranked the best State Park in Missouri. There are showers (free), and even a store! It’s so nice to be in an actual campground!

No City Park lights tonight!!!

Tomorrow we have a short day to Farmington. It’s 39 miles or 80+. We’ll go to Farmington. 





 


No comments: