Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Day 75- All Clear to Set Up on Runway Two-Niner

The ride today was somewhat unremarkable. 

Foggy this morning. 

We did waste a lot of time looking for stuff in grocery stores. The first two weren’t open yet. The third was a gas station, so didn’t have what I needed (breakfast stuff). The fourth was slim pickings (but the gal sold me four oatmeal packets). Finally, the fifth, a Dollar General, was open, and had the rest of what I wanted (hot chocolate and dog treats-I’ll explain in a moment). 

The first several miles were pretty easy, which is why we planned to do a big day of 70 miles. 

Not so many hills. 

The second half of the day was more hilly. My average slowly dropped from 10.5 mph to 9.3.

So, about the dog treats. No, they are not emergency rations. The one consistent thing I have heard about Kentucky is the free roaming dogs. I’ve decided to try the strategy of throwing them treats. I got to try it out on a couple of boxers.  As they came barreling down the grass to the road, I stopped and said, “You pups want a treat?” Well, they did not know what to make of me. I mean, aren’t I supposed to let them chase me? Instead, I threw a treat in their direction. Oh, that seemed interesting…thought the one. The other one was still barking. Then I threw another one closer to them. The one totally gave up on barking, and was trying to get to the treat without coming closer to me. The other one continued to bark, and run along as I took off, but didn’t come any closer. I told him he was missing out, and his buddy was definitely going to get two treats! So, in this situation, I’d say it worked. Of course, it could also been because I stopped. These were also not overly vicious dogs like those that are rumored to be in a certain area in eastern Kentucky. 

We stopped for lunch at a diner in Fordsville. It wasn’t the best, and they were charging $2.00 for water because there was a shortage (although, the water ran freely in the restroom). I did have a pretty good piece of cake though. 

The last 18 miles were the hilliest with four good climbs. Then it was down to Falls of Rough (that’s the name of the town). We crossed into Grayson County, so I had to take this photo for my grandson. 


Oh, and I also rescued another turtle. 

I know you like the warm road, but it’s not a safe place to be!

We turned into Rough River State Resort Park. According to our map, there was camping. Fortunately, we also had some intel from Violet that the airport allowed camping. I said to Doug, “I’ve never camped at an airport.” Sure enough, we see the runway, then a building. We checked it out. There are restrooms…with showers!!! There was even this sign. 

Well,  okay then, we will do that (the camping and showering part).



Runway 2-20

Airport camping at its finest!

Ian came by. He’s staying at the lodge. He gave us more intel on the road situation (and dog too) in eastern Kentucky. It doesn’t look great. We’ll still go to Berea, and evaluate more. We have pretty much decided we won’t detour and add an extra 250 miles. 

So, that’s it from tonight’s most unusual campsite. 

Sunset over the runway. 








No comments: