Sunday, August 28, 2022

Day 80-All Good Dogs

Today was a short day of just 39 miles, so we didn’t get too early of a start. The hotel breakfast options were somewhat unique. They had various frozen breakfast burritos and pancake on a stick. I had two pancakes on sticks. Think pigs in a blanket crossed with corn dogs, and you get pancake on a stick. It wasn’t terrible. Would have been better if there had been some syrup… I also took the opportunity to grab a couple of oatmeal packets to add to my breakfast collection. 

We rolled out at about 7:50. We were right back to the rolling hills. I would say, however, that the ups and downs were a bit longer today. I prefer that to the short ups and downs. At least I get some recovery on the longer downhill. 

It really was a nice ride today. 

The home of Mordecai Lincoln, Abe Lincoln’s uncle. It’s funny…everything around here is all about Lincoln, but the name of the county is Washington! Speaking of counties, there are a lot in Kentucky. At one point today, we left Washington County, and crossed into Mercer County. Then we went around a corner, and went back into Washington County. Around another corner, and we crossed back into Mercer County!

Barn, silo, and rolling Kentucky hills. 

More nice quiet lanes. 

Another turtle rescue. 

Shady is what we like!

This doesn’t really do justice to the beauty of the rolling hills. 

There were numerous dogs today, but all of them were good. No chasers, just some half-hearted barking. One was out checking his Sunday morning pee-mail. He ran by me to get to his next tree. It was as if we weren’t even there! That’s the kind of dogs we like!

We pulled into Herrodsburg. We stopped for lunch at a Lee’s Famous Chicken. It was pretty good. Definitely better than KFC. While we were at the restaurant, I gave Eddie a call. We are all set to meet up in Berea on Tuesday. I’ve made reservations at the Motel 6 right near the freeway. Should be easy to find. Doug and I will actually get there tomorrow. We’ll finally get a day off. There is a bike path into downtown Berea that we can check out while we are waiting for Eddie. 

From Herrodsburg, we just had 8 miles to go. We stopped in Burgin for some Gatorade. As I walked into the store, I heard on the radio that Barry Gibb had died. The last of The Bee Gees. End of an era. Then, when we got to Chimney Rock RV Park where we are staying tonight, I found out that Olivia Newton John had died a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t really a big Bee Gees fan, but I was a huge Olivia Newton John fan when I was a kid. I had all of her albums, and saw her in concert too. Now all my childhood favorite singers are gone. 

This RV park is quite nice, and just $10 per person. We have a nice spot behind the office, close to the restrooms and showers. 

I want to take a shower, but I know if I do, I’ll just be all sweaty again in no time, so I’m going to wait a bit. There’s also a restaurant here. It closes at 5:00 today, so we’ll have an early dinner. The park is on Lake Herrington. I’ll take some photos later, probably put them in tomorrow’s post. 

With the assistance of our “Route Angel”, Eddie, we should have just 4 more days in Kentucky (with one of them being a day off). Then we are on to our final state…Virginia! 


No comments: