Monday, August 29, 2022

Day 81-My Turn to Go the Wrong Way

Another short day today to Berea. We left Chimney Rock at 7:30. It was still completely dark at 6:00 when I got up. That is the problem of being at the western edge of a new time zone. 

We came around and crossed the lake on the Kennedy Bridge. 

But first we went by this barn with a fake cow and a fake rooster!

Sunrise as we crossed the lake. 

Overall, todays ride was more of the longer ups and longer downs. Today they seemed a bit steeper though. 

Look! A double shadow photo! A little tricky because we were going uphill!

There were quite a few turns today…a few onto one lane roads. Jack Turner Dr. was one such road. It was a continuous climb, but not too steep. Plus it was mostly shady. There was only one vehicle on the whole section. 

Then, sometime after that, I missed a turn. Doug says there was no USBR 76 sign, and the road sign was carved on a stick. Anyway, somehow I ended up in Kirkville. I stopped at an intersection of two numbered roads that didn’t match up on my map. Ruh roh! Fortunately, there are numerous roads. I just Google mapped how to get to Paint Lick (yes, that is a place). Turns out, I didn’t have to go all the way to Paint Lick to get back on the route. 

Before long, I was back on the route, and riding into Berea. I pulled in to a Subway (it was noon). I texted Doug to see if he was ahead, or behind me. Pretty soon, he came riding around the corner. He had already been to the Motel 6 to see if I was there. We had lunch at Subway, then checked into our room. 

I wanted to go through my stuff, and send a box home. Doug did the same. I sent home a large flat rate box worth of stuff. We did keep our chairs. We do use them when we are camping. I sent home my frying pan as we are only really cooking breakfast. I even sent home my puffy jacket. I just can’t see needing it in the next couple of weeks. 

We loaded up our day packs, and rode the bike path to the post office. 

The Beebe-White Bikeway

After the post office, we rode the rest of the way into downtown and the Historic Boone Tavern Hotel. 

Went by this school with a very unusual roof. 

The Historic Boone Tavern and Hotel

The Tavern sits at the inter Of Main St. and Prospect, which happens to be the end of our Map 10. So, we can say we finished Map 10! 

Berea is home to Berea College. It looks like a very nice campus. We thought it might be an expensive school, but I talked to a student, and he said it is a good school for people who don’t have a lot of money. 

We rode back to the Motel 6 just as a few raindrops were falling. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be thunderstorms. Good thing we don’t have to ride tomorrow!

One final photo…

Just a couple of turkeys…there was actually a whole flock not much further. 





No comments: