Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Day 62-Cake Batter Batter…Oh, and the Flint Hills


Sunrise on the lake this morning. 

Never in my life have I seen so many sunrises in a row (not exactly an early riser…normally), but it’s the only way to beat the heat. 

I’m sure you all are getting tired of these photos…

Doug is still having issues with his leg. He manages okay as long as he takes it slow. Of course it didn’t help matters that today was the beginning of the Flint Hills. For me, the hills were not so challenging…it was the wind. It was coming primarily out of the east, so pretty much a headwind. However, it could have been worse (we’ve had stronger headwinds).

It was 30 miles to Cassoday. Here’s some sights along the way. 

Nothing but a straight line. Not flat…just straight. 

Cows chowing down on grass. 

The ubiquitous hay rolls of Kansas. 

Found out this is cattle moving time (explains so dang many stinky cattle trucks). They were loading these cows onto trucks. 

Straight and rolly. 

Not a great photo, but these were buzzards/vultures congregating on some “delicious” road kill (a deer, I think). They were huge birds!

Speaking of roadkill…there sure has been a lot on these roads. Armadillos, badgers, possum, raccoon, and today, the first turtle. Fortunately, no skunks (I’d have to sing “Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road”).

I was really looking forward to something to drink in Cassoday. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, the only open place was off route to the left, away from the town itself. I continued on, figuring I’d get water somewhere in Rosalia. There was only supposed to be a Post Office, but I was hoping to catch someone either at their house, or maybe the Post Office. I rolled into Rosalia right at noon. Lo and behold, there was a Mexican restaurant, and it was open! 

There was a large group of teachers having lunch. I grabbed a Gatorade, Dr. Pepper, and a bottle of water out of the cooler. Once the young girl finished serving all their food, I was able to order a quesadilla and beans and rice. It hit the spot! I grabbed another Gatorade to go, and got back on the road. The people in the restaurant said now the hills would be starting. I thought I’d already been experiencing hills. Actually, the hills between Rosalia and Eureka were wonderful! They were long gradual climbs with long descents. This was the Flint Hills! 

Top of the first climb, and going down down down. 

Unfortunately, this photo does not do just to how pretty it was. Amazingly green. 

As you can see, until the county line, it was new road. Not only nice and smooth, but black. In the heat, the blacker the road, the cooler it is. The light roads reflect the heat back, and it feels much hotter. 

As I was getting closer to Eureka, I saw this sign. 

We first heard about this place way back at the top of Lolo Pass in Idaho. Dennis and Vanessa (and Maui the dog) told us about it. They had even been able to stay there, but they were the last because the owner of the B&B turned in the owner of Cake Batter Batter for letting people stay overnight in the shop (me thinks a little afraid they were taking business away from the B&B). We heard about it again at Rachel and Mike’s place in Ennis, Montana from Bill, the westie. Needless to say, I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time (it’s the little things…).

I found it easily in Eureka. 



Oh…just one of several things I bought! They have a log book that I signed telling them how long I’ve been looking forward to coming here. They also gave me a bunch of stickers. If I see anymore Westies, I’ll give them a sticker. 

After CBB, I rolled around to the grocery store to pick up a couple more dinners, then headed to the City Park. Doug rolled in about 30 minutes later. He hadn’t been to CBB yet. When I told him they had ice cream, he drops his bags, and rode back up there. 

This is a great park. As you can see, there’s a pool, but there are also separate showers. The pool was packed so I didn’t go swimming. I’ll just take a shower in a bit. 


Today was 67.7 miles. Tomorrow is another 60+ mile day. I hope Doug’s leg feels better. Although, I’m okay riding by myself. We can really talk much while we are riding anyway…






No comments: