Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Day 76-A Chance Encounter

Since we didn’t have very many miles to go today (37 miles), we got a later start. It allowed us to let our tents dry, and more importantly, a chance encounter with Eddie. 

Eddie was “bush hogging” (what we would call mowing) the grass around the airstrip. He came over to use the restroom at the building, then stopped to talk to us. We talked about the usual things. As he was heading back to the tractor, I asked him if he had any ideas as to how we could get through the flooded area (and the dogs). I checked on a bus, but there isn’t one that goes from Berea to Elkhorn City. I asked if he knew of any other transportation system. He suggested Uber, which would be great…if we could get a person with a pickup that could take two bikes. Then, he asked when we thought we would be in Berea. I said I wasn’t sure yet, but maybe about 5 days (we are taking a day off in Mammoth Cave National Park). He said his schedule was pretty flexible, and he has a truck. Really??? So, I got his phone number, and told him I would call him when I could figure out the timeline. I told him we would pay for his gas, lodging, and time, if he was available. He went back to bush hogging, and we continued to pack up. 

Before we left the park/airport, we rode down to the water. It is a lake formed by the Rough River Dam. 

The dam in the distance 

Nice lake!

We left and were soon riding across the dam. 

Rough River Dam

The rest of the ride today was nothing too exciting. We did lose another hour as we crossed into the eastern time zone, but oddly, tomorrow, we’ll go back to the central time zone at Mammoth Cave. Then, of course, back again to the eastern time zone. Sheesh! We won’t know what time it is!

Kentucky tobacco field. We saw a couple of these. 

We came down a pretty steep, rough road, hill. I knew that meant we would be going back up the other side. Sure enough, but the road was better, and it was kind of like a jungle. 

Rock walls with trees growing out of them. 

Just before we came through Eastview, I saw what I imagine Kentucky to look like. 

White fences, horses, and a nice house on the hill. I know most of Kentucky is not like this, but…you know…Kentucky Derby and all…

We stopped for some food at a convenience store/deli. Then we went to the Dollar General where I texted Chuck, the Volunteer Firefighter, for the code to the door at the White Mills Volunteer Fire Station that allows cyclists to stay. Just after we arrived, Chuck showed up on his tractor. He said the door sometimes doesn’t want to unlock, so he came over to make sure we got in. So, last night an airport, tonight a Fire Station…it’s always an adventure!

There is a shower here too. 

Once I had time to do some calculations, I gave Eddie a call. He called me back a bit later. I gave him the mileage, and when we would get to Berea, and when we would want to go to Hindman (I realized he didn’t need to take us all the way to Elkhorn City, just through Hazard County). He said he already planned on doing it!!! So, we have a plan! 

I told Doug, it always works out. Who knew this chance encounter with the guy mowing the grass at the airport in Rough River State Park would result in solving this eastern Kentucky dilemma!!!





No comments: