Thursday, August 11, 2022

Day 63-Lizard Lips, and a Pleasant Ride Along the Backroads

Might as well get this out of the way…

You know…the daily sunrise photo!

Here’s a little different version. 

It was gloriously cold this morning. Garmin said the temp was 59, and that’s after we were on the road. I actually zipped up my vest (didn’t put the sleeves on…I wanted to enjoy the coolness). The tents were pretty wet with dew though. 

I think at about 18 miles in we came to a convenience store. Turns out, this wasn’t just any convenience store! No, this was the infamous Lizard Lips Cafe and Store! Bill, the guy from Vancouver, WA that we met in Ennis, Montana had told us about this place. 

The lizards are on the Bud sign. 

I went in to get myself a drink and a snack. The proprietor told me I could pick a lizard, and sign the log book. I said, “Ah ha! This is the infamous Lizard Lips!” I chose a red one, and zip tied it to my stem. 

Introducing Lucky the Lizard! Isn’t he cute? Doug chose a green one (no name yet that I know of).

The next town was Toronto. Now we were on actual backroads (not even a centerline on most of them). 

I think this was still the Verdigris River. There’s a heron in the photo. 

Coming into Toronto. 

In Toronto I dropped off a couple of postcards at the Post Office. As I was getting back on Tilmann, a woman came out of the Senior Center, and asked me if I needed any water. There was a sign in the window that said “Cyclists Welcome”. I was full up on water, but I chatted with her for a bit. Then, as I was riding out of town, some people hollered from their front porch asking if I needed any water! So nice!!!

We had heard of a bridge out in Coyville, but it was open again, so no problem there. Outside of Coyville, David, the pothole repair guy, asked me if I wanted some water. Since this was the third person to ask me if I wanted water, I decided I would guzzle down a bunch, then refill my bottle. It was nice to have more cold water. 


This backroad was a bit on the rough side. 

This backroad was named after my granddaughter!

Shortly after stopping in some shade for a snack lunch break, we saw this curiosity.

Strange thing one sees on the backroads. 

We rolled into Chanute, our ending place for today. Again, I had a picture in my mind as to what the Santa Fe Safari RV Park would look like. Not even close. Basically, it’s just a big city park (ballfields, playground, etc) that allows camping. The first 48 hours are free. There are restrooms and showers. There are a few RVs here too. 

As we were relaxing in our chairs, a woman named Kay stopped in her car and asked us if we needed anything. She was going to Walmart, and would be happy to pick something up for us. The only thing we could think of was some Gatorade. Sure enough, she brought us back two bottles of Gatorade! We chatted for awhile. What an absolutely wonderful person! More of that Kansas kindness!

It’s a full moon tonight. Here’s a photo of it rising over the Ford dealership and Super 8 motel. 

Yep, taken from my chair next to my tent. 







No comments: