Monday, June 25, 2018

(Backup) (Backup) June 25: It’s Like I Was Back on the Road!

The weather was beautiful today, so I thought a nice long(ish) ride was in order. My goal was King’s Park in Perth. I was on familiar territory until I got to the other side of the Canning Bridge. Then, from a biking perspective, I was on new ground. Just before going under the Canning Bridge, I saw this pelican.

Pelly on the Swan

As I came under the bridge, I noticed how close to the water the bike path went.

I think it’s possible some cyclists have inadvertently gone swimming!

I continued following the Swan River, seeing lots of the river’s namesake enjoying the sunny day.



Black Swan Yoga moves

I came across the Narrows Bridge and followed the path over to where Cathie, Jared, and I had been on Saturday. This time Tilmann and Flat Will got in the photos.

Flat Will AND Tilmann

Tilmann enjoying the aboriginal sculpture called “First Contact”

I headed toward King’s Park. The park sits up on the cliff above the city, and above the bridge I had come across. There was a bike path along the river to the Western Australia University. There, I needed to get across the busy Stirling Hwy. at first I couldn’t figure out how to get to the other side. Then, I saw a gentleman walking his bike down a pedestrian walkway to a tunnel that went under the Hwy. Ah ha! I followed him. In the tunnel, I asked him if this was the way to get to King’s Park. He said it was, so I continued on. Later him and his wife caught up to me as I was pondering which way to go. They told me the least hilly way to get up to the Lookout and the War Memorial. The Turnbulls were a nice couple. It’s always great to see older people out on bicycles having a good time. They were both riding e-bikes.

I followed the Turnbulls suggestions, and made my way up to the top. I found the War Memorial and the Lookout. 

Eternal flame and War Memorial

View from the War Memorial

From the Lookout

As it was lunchtime, I stopped at the cafe and got some food. While I was waiting for my food, the parrots were flying all around, and the noise was really loud...like deafening! Then it just stopped. It was crazy!

As I was walking back to Tilmann, I could see a black cockatoo in one of the gum trees. I got closer and could see and hear there were quite a few red-tail black cockatoos! They were eating the gum berries, and dropping the empty shells to the ground (it was not a good idea to stand under the tree).

There’s two!

I wanted to go to the DNA Tower, but I couldn’t find it. I saw a sign, and I was following it, then there were no more signs, but no tower. But, it was getting late anyway. I did find the big Boab Tree.


I didn’t want to ride back the same way I came, so I decided to go back via Fremantle. First I had to get out to the Coast. I plugged Cottesloe into my Garmin. That brought me to the ocean. I followed the Coast bike path south with the North Mole Lighthouse off in the distance.

This is Cottesloe. Fremantle is waaaay off in the distance.

Once I made it to the water, I turned off the Garmin. At Fremantle, I turned the Garmin back on and plugged in Cathie’s address, and followed the route it gave me. It was a pretty good route. I think I used my Garmin more today than I have my entire time in Australia. It performed well (that’s not always the case). 

I arrived at about 4:30, just before Jared got home. I rode 75.5kms today. That’s a pretty good touring day!











1 comment: