Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 16: Taking Full Advantage of a Sunny Day

Last night I spent the evening sitting by Wendy’s fire, and having a great time. Wendy said the mist would roll in. She was right! In the middle of the night when I got up to pee, it was like pea soup! In the morning, I didn’t rush too much because I thought it would be unsafe to ride in that thick of fog. Much to my surprise, when I popped out of my tent, there was no more fog! I was able to get going at 7:45 after taking this photo of Wendy and Sunny Jim.


Wendy and Sunny Jim


The town of Bridgetown was quite nice. As I expected, there was a long climb to get out of the town. Actually, there were a number of long climbs (and descents) all the way to Donnybrook. I went through a few “Up” towns along the way (they all have “up” at the end of their names—it means “place of”).


The clouds did finally go away, and it was nice and sunny. There was a bit of wind, but it was worth it to have sun.


I stopped for a break in Donnybrook, and had a sandwich at a bakery/cafe. I had decided if I could leave Donnybrook by 1:00, I would continue to Bunbury. I left at 12:30. 


The lady in Pemberton had told me the road would level out some after Donnybrook. It did, and I made pretty good time to Bunbury. 


Bunbury is a pretty big town. I had no idea where I was going to stay. My first choice was to camp because I needed to dry my tent. I followed the signs to the Visitor Center where I asked if there was a Caravan Park nearby. There was a Discover Park less than a kilometer away on Koombana Bay. 


After setting up, I walked back into where the restaurants were and had fish and chips at a place called the Rose Hotel. It was good. 


Blackwood River

Bridgetown was full of crocheted...things

This was at the turn to one of the few non-“up” towns-Greenbushes

Best sign winner!

Bunbury

Cool lit trees by the Visitor Center

The sun was sure nice to ride in today. Tomorrow is also supposed to be good. Today was 98kms. If I can, I want to try to get to Mandurah tomorrow. It’s 105kms. The rain and wind are coming tomorrow night. If I make it to Mandurah, I will make it to Cathie’s the next day. Then I’m done!







No comments: