Thursday, June 14, 2018

June 12: Day 5 on MB-I Have One Rule

Last night I went to the restaurant at the motel next door. There I met three women who are doing a week on the Bibbulmun. I joined them for dinner. Melanie, Helen, and Sue were a delight. Melanie had to leave a little early as she has a neurological condition that makes it hard to keep her eyes open, and it causes her a lot of pain. She also has Tourette’s Syndrome. She used to get Botox to treat the eye problem. She did this for 20 years until it almost killed her. Now she is having a surgery next month in Melbourne that has a 50% success rate. My point in sharing this is to show that even though she can only open her eyes every once in awhile, she is still active and planning to hike. Fortunately, her companions have good eyes, and will help her “see”. 


I got Tilmann’s front brake pads changed this morning before heading out. I left Walpole at 8:30. I only had 30kms to the next campsite, so I wasn’t worried about the later start.


Back on the MB, the going was even more sandy. This section, I had to walk because there had been so much water (it rained all night), and the track was very narrow. There were deep gullies and it was soft.


At 18kms, I came to the Swarbrick Recreation Site. This was after a tricky singletrack section. I used the potty shack, had a snack, and continued on. At the entrance to the Recreation Site, I popped out onto a sealed road. As I was riding along the road, I realized I was really happy to be on the pavement. I was thinking how much I missed riding on the road. I was excited every MB sign I saw that had me continuing on the road. That got me thinking about how I wasn’t really enjoying the Munda Biddi...I know...WHAT? Not enjoying it? Well...no. Yes, it has been hard, but doable. I have the fitness for it. However, it is taking all my focus to maneuver on the track. Also, Tilmann is really not the right bike for this (especially with full panniers). He’s taking a beating (I had to negotiate three downed trees today), as are the panniers. But, all that aside, I’m just not having fun. And, you know, my one rule is, if it’s not fun, I don’t do it.


So, I was riding on the road thinking all this. I looked at the map and could see where I could just stay on this road. When I’m came to where the MB departed from the road, I continued on. While the road I was on did become a dirt/gravel road, it was still a road...one suitable for cars. I came to the turn for Fernhook Falls Campground (Beardmore Road). It was 13kms away. That would make it 43 for the day. Good enough.


I thoroughly enjoyed riding the dirt road. I didn’t mind the hills (and I could even go down the hills without having to brake). I was having fun again!


So, after 5ish days on the Munda Biddi Track, I’ve decided to divert to the road. I’ll probably go to Northcliff tomorrow. I’ve met a woman who is traveling by herself in her RV. Her and I are the only ones in the campground. She gave me one of the tourist maps. 


Oh, and I am staying in one of the “cabins” here at Fernhook Falls. It seems to be first come, first served. There are no locks on the door. It costs $8 (I paid $5.20 because that’s all I had except a $50). I will take my food panniers to where Belinda is, and we’ll dine together.


A walk through the sand

One of three downed trees

Lovely sealed road, how I have missed you!

Dirt road...okay.

Fernhook Falls...not so much falling happening.

My cabin in the woods

Mirror reflection on Rowell’s Pool








No comments: