Thursday, June 21, 2018

June 21: Winter Solstice

That’s right, people, WINTER Solstice! While the majority of those who read this are enjoying the longest day of the year, I am enjoying the shortest day of the year. And it was a great day! Cathie had an appointment in Fremantle today, so we went early enough to check out the Leuwinn II, an educational sailing ship that had returned to Freo (it was its Berth Day). All the students who were disembarking had smiles on their faces, and had had a very good time. They had been out for a week on a training sailing.

Cody, one of the crew, gave us a tour of the boat. The young man thinks he might have found his career choice. 

Forward quarters

Galley (the students take part in all of the running of the ship, including the galley)

Crows nest

Cathie and I at the helm (fortunately, we weren’t using our navigational skills...oops...we shoulda turned there...)

After out tour, there was food in the form of sausages and salads. We had some food, and we talked to the woman who I think was the captain. I asked her if they ever allowed older people to go on the boat. They do! They do an “Open Sailing” for all ages. It’s a week long sailing that is just like what the kids do. She gave me the brochure. I would love to do it! Maybe to celebrate turning 60 (in four years...gives me time to plan).

Cathie had to go to her appointment, so we hopped in the car and headed there. While she was in her appointment, I had a wander around the area we were in. 

Anglican (I think) Church. I could smell the incense from outside.

The Town Hall building. Notice the yellow from the art instillation (yesterday’s post).

Cathie and I rendezvoused at the car after her appointment. We went back to where the Leuwinn was because it was right next to the Maritime Museum, which we wanted to see. 

The front of the building from yesterday’s photos.

Besides a number of different boats on display, they have the Australia II that won the America’s Cup Yacht Race in 1983. It was the first boat to use the winged keel.



The winged keel

The exhibition going on was for kids about pirates. They had a pair of air cannons and foam balls. Of course, Cathie and I had to have a battle. I won, but Cathie blamed her deficiencies on a dodgy cannon...well...I don’t know about that! Here’s the carnage of our battle.

Dodgy cannon...right...

After we expended our energies in our cannon war (although, as much effort was used to pick up all the balls), we finished looking at the rest of the displays, and closed the place down.

As we were driving back home, I could see the sunset was looking pretty good. Cathie made a mad dash to get out to the beach so we could take photos. 

Pretty nice, right?

Happy Soltice Day!











No comments: