Wednesday, June 6, 2018

June 6: Arriving in the Dark is Maybe Not the Best Idea

I left Giada and Vivica’s way earlier than necessary, but it was more fun to hang out with Giada at the Roadhouse (she was working). At first I was regretting taking the bus as it was sunny, and not so windy. However, by the time the bus came, the wind was working itself up, so I was happy with my plan.

This is my new friend Giada!

Finally, it was time to prepare Tilmann for his first bus ride.

Okay, so that didn’t take much effort.
The bus arrived on schedule and I loaded Tilmann into the belly of the bus.

He’s ready to go!

The bus ride was long. We went through a number of towns. At Wagin, I had to change buses. Just as the first bus pulled away, the next bus came. I loaded Tilmann and the bags on the new bus, and off we went. The buses are pretty nice. They even have movies (they even give you headphones). Every couple of stops we were given a break to get off the bus, use restrooms, get food, etc. 

We arrived in Albany about 15 minutes ahead of schedule, but it was still dark. I was watching for signs to a caravan park as we were coming into town. I saw one, so when I got off the bus and loaded Tilmann up with everything, I headed back to where I had seen the sign. There was a pretty good shoulder/bike lane. I got to the sign for the caravan park. I picked up a bike path. I was riding and riding, and not seeing any caravan park. Finally, I decided it was getting ridiculous. I stopped and turned on my phone (there goes $10). Yeah, the caravan park was still almost 4 miles away! That was not where I wanted to be. I turned around and headed back into town.

I pulled into a couple of places that said caravan parking, but they weren’t places I could camp (as best I could tell in the dark). Finally I said to myself, enough is enough. I came back into the town center and went to a motel. It’s a Best Western. I’ve booked in for one night. I was planning to stay in Albany for a day. Tomorrow’s weather is still not great, however, Friday is looking good. Tomorrow morning I will decide if I want to stay here, or go someplace cheaper...we’ll see what the daylight brings.




No comments: