Monday, June 18, 2018

June 18: Success!

I really enjoyed my night in my little chalet as the thunder was booming outside! As usual, even though I didn’t need to get going too early, I was up at 6:30. I dawdled as much as I could, but still ended up leaving at 7:45. At least it wasn’t raining. The wind was blowing, but amazingly, in my favor (mostly). Here’s what the ocean looked like. 

Looks like it could have been good for surfing (a little cold though)

I made my way toward the freeway. That’s right, there is a bike lane on the freeway...at least for awhile, then it became a separate path. I was loving it! 

How awesome is this?

I was cruising along on the path when I looked ahead to see this.

Yep, that’s an emu!

I rolled slowly toward it. It was pretty well trapped as there were fences on both sides. It kept running back and forth along the fence trying to figure out a way to get away.

Later I saw where there was no more fence. I’m sure it would figure it out eventually.

Shortly after the emu, I saw a bandicoot. It’s a little marsupial, but looks like a rodent. I wondered what wildlife I was going to see next! Alas, I didn’t see anything else besides some Twenty Eight Parrots. 

As I was riding along the freeway (but on the separate path), there was a service center (think truck stop). There was a path from the bike path to the service center. I pulled in a had a snack. I really was trying to take my time.

The weather was holding out pretty good. There were a couple of showers, but each time, I happened to be coming to a bike path tunnel under a freeway exit. I would just stop in the tunnel, and wait for the squall to pass, then continue on. 

Before I knew it, I was at the turn into Cathie’s neighborhood.

Exiting the path

Cathie’s street 

Cathie lives in a suburb called Success. I think that is the perfect place for the end of my tour! I rolled up to the house. Cathie and her friend, Judy, were outside cleaning up stuff. I stopped and waited for them to turn around. Since I was early, they were surprised to see me (sorry, I haven’t taken any photos yet). 

Now I feel like I’m on holiday or something. I know I will still ride my bike...some. I can’t imagine not riding for the nearly four weeks I will have here. But, maybe, I won’t ride tomorrow...






No comments: