Saturday, June 16, 2018

June 15: Conquering My Fear

I decided to double up and go to Bridgetown. Although, it’s not really doubling up because it was still just 65kms. I had planned Manjimup just to stretch out the days.


I was a bit overly optimistic about the weather. I put the Da Brim back on my helmet (it’s been off for the last several days). At first it was looking good. Not tons of blue sky, but the clouds didn’t look too dark.


I skipped the Gloucester Tree, but I stopped at the Diamond Tree. I decided I was going to go to the top, and I was going to take Flat Will with me. This tree was not as high as the other two, but still a respectable 57 meters. 


Flat Will and I started up. About halfway to the first platform, it started to rain. Really??? I toyed with going back down, but decided I was going to do this! Flat Will and I made it to the first platform. There was the same sign as had been at the Bicentennial Tree (“That was the easy part”). I didn’t waste time thinking about it, I just started up the next part. Reach up, step up, reach up, step up...


It got to be more vertical, like a ladder. Then, the last bit was a ladder...a rather narrow ladder (reach up, step up, reach up, step up). I stepped up onto the platform. We made it! It was still raining, but the lookout at the top has a roof. I took a number of photos. I could see the rain didn’t seem to be stopping soon.


Finally, I decided it was time to go down. Step down, reach down, step down, reach down...all the way back to the ground. Whew! I conquered that sucker!


I pulled Tilmann under cover at the Info place and put my rain gear on (including my shoe covers). I took the Da Brim off so I could put my hood up. Of course, it pretty much quit raining shortly after.


I rode the rest of the way into Manjimup where I stopped at a coffee shop that seemed to specialize in hot donuts. Yes, they were delicious! 


From Manjimup, it was another 35kms to Bridgetown. Where it had been hilly, like the last few days, getting to Manjimup, the road leveled out considerably after Manjimup. It was the flattest riding I’ve done for days. The sun also came out, and I even had my sunglasses on...for awhile, anyway.


With 10kms to go, the rain returned. I was going to just try and ride out the rain, but it seemed to be continuing, so I stopped and put my jacket back on. As usual, not long after, the rain stopped. Geez!


I dropped down into the Blackwood Valley (me thinks I will have to climb out of it tomorrow). The Bridgetown Caravan Park is about a kilometer or so before the town (which is across the Blackwood River). After getting everything set up, and a shower, I walked into the town. Well, I didn’t go all the way, just to a little mini mart. I got a banana for my brekkie tomorrow, and a couple of snacks. 


I’m really really hoping the forecast holds for tomorrow, and that it will be a sunny day. I’m going to try to get all the way to Bunbury (if not, it’ll be Donnybrook). I want to take full advantage of good weather, and get as close to Perth as I can before the next storm front moves in.


Wonder what that pink field is?


Time to start climbing


Going all the way up there!


Made it!


So did Flat Will!


Now to go back down!


A bit of sun for awhile







No comments: