Saturday, June 2, 2018

June 2: How Many Snicker Bars Does it Take to Go 128 Kilometers?

The answer is 3. 


I didn’t plan to go all the way to Esperance today (well, I did, but then I changed my mind). I was going to go 75 or 80 kilometers, bush camp again, then have a short day into Esperance. Funny how yesterday I didn’t get as far as I had wanted, and today I went farther...a lot farther...in fact, the farthest I’ve gone in one day on this tour!


It was foggy this morning, so I didn’t get all that early of a start. But, I was only going 75 to 80 kilometers. It was definitely earlier than yesterday, though. Today I would actually get to go through some towns. 


First up was Salmon Gums. It was not so much of a town, but I was able to get water and Snickers Bars...and a Vanilla Coke. I ate one of the Snickers Bars, and stuck the Coke in my pannier for later.


Next up was Grass Patch. This was even less of a town. Nothing was open, so I sat outside the closed coffee shop/post office and ate some trail mix, and some Vanilla Coke.


Moving on, the next town was Scadden. Well, believe it or not it was even less. But, there was a nice little park with restrooms. I ate Snicker number 2, and finished the Coke.


Another 26kms was the town I was planning to stay in—Gibson. While it was a bigger town than Grass Patch and Scadden, it did not have camping. I suppose I could have maybe stayed at the playground, but with 26kms to go until Esperance, and it was 2:00, I decided to push on...after I ate Snicker number 3.


The wind had been pretty good, but after Gibson, it decided to do a switcheroo and became a headwind. Fortunately, not too strong. 


I was quite happy to get to the top of a hill to look down on Esperance. Even after the downhill, there was still about 5kms to go, but I was going to make it!


I rolled into the caravan park at 3:15. I’m now back to the Coast. This park is on the seafront. I’m taking tomorrow off (I need a break). Unfortunately, tomorrow is Sunday, and most things will be closed (this being Western Australia where shops are closed on Sundays). Then, to top it off, Monday is a Public Holiday (Western Australia Day). At least maybe there won’t be so many trucks on the road when I leave on Monday. The next section to Ravensthorpe is reported to have many grain trucks. 


A little foggy on down there


Well, that’s new...some standing water


This one looks a bit salty


Grass Patch “Heart of the Mallee” (whatever that means)


Potty shack at Scadden


Those be islands, I think...


Esperance in the distance


So close!








1 comment:

Cathie G said...

Will you get to see Cape Le Grand National Park? The beaches out there are among the most amazing in the world! Lucky Bay, and Hellfire Bay are spectacular, so I hope you get a chance. I've really enjoyed reading your posts, and it's reignited my passion to see the Big Red again. See you in a few weeks 🙂