Friday, June 8, 2018

June 8: Munda Biddi Day 1-Whack Whack, Wide Load Coming Through

I thought I only had 58kms today, but I was mistaken. I think I got the 58 from when I was thinking I would be taking the road to Denmark. Really, it was 75kms, but that was just fine. I’ve calculated that I need to average about 46kms/day to finish MB in three weeks. That seems doable, especially since I did 75 today! Kilometers in the bank, baby!


I did go back to the Terminus sign this morning. Flat Will even got his photo taken with the sign too! The signage for the trail was very good.




Let’s go, Flat Will!


The first bit of non-road had me walking! In all fairness, the sign said “cyclists dismount”, there were stairs, and I had to weave through a railway crossing. But, then I was riding on a grassy path.


Walking already.


The surfaces today were all different kinds. There was sealed road, dirt road, single track, double track, and a bit of sand. The single track was interesting because, in places...many places, the vegetation was nearly over growing the track. Now...I’m a bit of a wide load. Going through these narrow sections was...loud. The branches and ferns, and everything else that was sticking out were whacking the panniers as I rode through. The plants were also a bit wet in places. Fortunately, the panniers took the brunt of the whacking, and my pants (which, by the way, I was ever so grateful I was wearing) stayed reasonably dry.


Nice country road


Single track (a not too bad spot)


Dirt road


Walking again through the sand


I have to give Tilmann kudos for handling the single track pretty well. I really didn’t find it too difficult to manage. There was one short bit of sand that I had to walk through, but then there was a dirt/gravel path that went alongside most of it.


At one of the places where I was on a sealed road, I saw two cyclists coming toward me. I figured I would pass these people today. Des and Nigel, from South Africa, have been posting on the Munda Biddi Facebook page, so I knew they were coming. Today was their last day. They were using hybrid bikepacking setups.


Nigel and Des


When I planned my itinerary for MB, I didn’t really put in where I would camp (at least in the towns). However, since I have loads of experience with these Australian towns now, I knew there would be a Caravan Park. Sure enough, just as I came into the outskirts of Denmark, there was the River’s Mouth Caravan Park. It’s at the mouth of the Denmark River. The river flows into Wilson Inlet, which goes out to the ocean.


Mouth of the Denmark River


Wilson Inlet


It feels good to be back in my tent again, not that I’m complaining about three nights in a bed (one in Ravensthorpe, and two in Albany). I’m also back to seeing/hearing cockatoos and kookaburras. There are pelicans too. This one swam over for a photo.


Thanks pelican!


Today, while rather chilly for a long time, was a nice sunny day. The rain is coming, but the lady in the park office said not until Sunday. I’m not convinced, but I hope she is right.











No comments: