Saturday, June 2, 2018

June 1: It’s Always a Tailwind, They Said


I met a couple of women last night named Amber and Gloria. They gave me some treats and a can of 7Up this morning. 


I had decided not to take a day off in Norseman like I had originally planned. Perhaps that wasn’t the best idea. But, all the cyclists I’ve met who have come from Esperance to Norseman have said they had a terrible headwind. They said it’s always a tailwind from Norseman to Esperance. That works for me!


I wanted to go to the Visitor Center to get my certificate for crossing the Nullarbor. The only problem was that it didn’t open until 9:00. There was also WiFi (well, the option to pay for WiFi). I figured I’d get the certificate, and then hit the road. I was heading to Salmon Gum, which is about 100kms. But, it would be okay because there is always a tailwind (they said). 


I got there early, and uploaded the first 8 days from the Nullarbor while I waited for the place to open. Once it did, I got my certificate, and a postcard for Grayson. I dropped the postcard (along with the other two I’d been carrying) in the post box, and headed out of town. 


There wasn’t a tailwind. Really, there wasn’t any wind. The road (even though I’m now going south) was as rolling as it was the last days of the Nullarbor. That tailwind would be nice for going up the hills. There’s always a tailwind, so it must be starting soon, I thought. I kept looking at the trees to see if they were moving. After awhile, they were starting to move, but not in the direction of a tailwind. What??? There were gusts (granted, not strong gusts) that were definitely more of the headwind variety. What??? Where was the tailwind? 


At about 25 kms, I stopped to take a break. I had pulled off on a side road. As I looked out to the road, I saw a cyclist going by. I waved, and James came over. He introduced himself, and when I said my name, he said he had met some friends of mine. I asked him if it was Dorothy and Bev? It was! That’s now the third (fourth if you count Martin and Janice as two) cyclists that have met them, and were told to watch out for me! It’s awesome! James was going to Adelaide. I told him I needed to push on for Salmon Gum. He was just heading into Norseman.


I continued pedaling along with no tailwind. I started to do the math. It was becoming clear that I would not make it to Salmon Gum before it was too dark. At 75kms, I came to one of the rest stops. It was only 2:00, but I figured there wouldn’t be another rest stop before Salmon Gum. I decided to call it a day.


Fortunately, I still had an extra liter plus a third bottle of water. That will get me through tonight, and to Salmon Gum tomorrow where I can hopefully refill my bottles.


IF the wind does what it “always” does tomorrow, perhaps I can make it to Esperance. It will be about 125kms.


Amber and Gloria


Ngundo (not spelled right) Aboriginal dude who told me I could take his photo, then asked what I would do with it. I told him I would put it in my blog and my photo book. He was very excited telling his friend that his picture was going to America! He shook my hand several times (I was uploading blog posts in front of the Info Center).


The camels of Norseman


Hmmm...96kms...wishful thinking.


James


My campsite at the rest stop


Sunset at the rest stop







No comments: