Monday, June 11, 2018

June 9-11: Days 2-4 on the Munda Biddi

June 9: MB Day 2-Well, That Took Longer Than I Thought it Would!


Just 48kms...a short day...or so I thought. The first 12 or so kilometers was pretty quick as they were all on a paved bike path. From then on, not so quick. 


The route headed south to get to the ocean. Well, where it’s Southern Ocean meets the Indian Ocean. Yep, I’ve now left the Southern Ocean behind! As is frequently the case with coastal capes/heads/points, there is a bit of climbing involved to get over them (too bad I couldn’t go around—where’s the boat?). However, the views were stunning!


I had a bit of confusion at the end of the bike path. It would have been a good place for a MB directional marker. There wasn’t one. Finally, I thought, it can’t be any other way, so I continued on in the most likely direction. Of course, it was a very steep climb. I sure hoped I was going the right way! Fortunately, I was. There was a marker where I had to turn to go up to the wind farm (question...does two wind turbines make a farm?). At the base of one of the turbines was the beginning of the Wilderness Ocean Walk (WOW). Amazingly, it was a sealed track. That was a good thing because it was lots of steep ups and steep downs (then up again...and down again...on and on). I had to walk about four of the steep ups (trust me, they were crazy steep!). I couldn’t fly down either. My brakes got a workout (I adjusted them when I finished for the day).


After the WOW track, it was still a track, but no longer sealed. Again, I was walking up steep pitches. There was a lot of sand, but the track had a plastic...grating type surface on it. When it wasn’t so steep, it was not hard to ride. 


I finally popped out onto a wide dirt road. It was still more climbing, but not so hard with the wide road. The road became sealed, and just before the main road, the MB turned off onto a single track section. If I could rewind, I would NOT have done that section! It was terrible! There were branches everywhere that kept getting caught in the spokes, and it was uphill. Yeah, I was walking. I could see the main road down below. I gazed longingly at the nice wide shoulder, wishing I was there. But, I wasn’t, and I survived! The next sections were either dirt road or sealed road, but always climbing. The wind was really blowing today, and for the most part, didn’t help the day, but wasn’t such a factor...except for one of the sealed road hills. Aiyiyi! The wind was blowing me all over the road as I was inching my way up at a blistering 3.5kms/hour! I was never so glad to get to the top of that. Of course, there was still more climbing, but not as bad.


I turned back onto a dirt road. It was still going up, but easily rideable. Then...a final turn onto more single track. It wouldn’t have been so bad except it was sandy in many places, and it was branchy and climbing. Once again, I was walking. 


I finally saw the sign for the campsite, Jinung Beigabup (means, looking at Mt. Lindsay). This is my first campsite on the trail. It’s very nice. A large shelter with sleeping platforms, rainwater tanks for drinking water (have to filter, of course), pit toilet, and covered eating area. There is a log book where you sign in. It seems the last person to stay here was here three days ago.


My goal today was to get here before the rain. I accomplished that, but now it is raining. It would be totally awesome if it quits before tomorrow, but I’m not sure that’s the forecast. But, I’m under cover for tonight (not using my tent). Too bad there’s no one else here.


Last of the Southern Ocean


Wind turbines-the MB went up to the one on the right


The WOW Trail


And now, the Indian Ocean


Horrible, just horrible


Interesting...


A welcome sign to the campsite


These signs are at every campsite


Nice, huh?


Inside the hut


June 10: MB Day 3-Shorter Than Expected, and That’s a Good Thing!


I can’t seem to figure out the distance chart on the Munda Biddi maps. I thought I had about 79kms to do today, but it ended up being 55. I did figure out one thing on the map distance chart, but it still didn’t add up to what I did today (although, it was certainly closer than 79). It’s a mystery!


Last night I was awakened by a bright light. It was the moon! The rain had stopped. Still, since I knew I had more of the bushy singletrack to do first thing this morning, I put all my rain gear on. It was a good thing because, not only were the bushes all wet (and I would have been soaked after going through them), but it started to rain again, and rained most of the day.


One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was that on the path to the campsite, there was a tree down. Yesterday, I had to take the panniers off to get around the tree. This morning, thinking I would have to do that again, I rolled to the blockage. But, I decided to just try to push through the bushes to get around the tree with the panniers on. Amazingly, it worked!


The singletrack from the campsite on was much easier than yesterday getting to the campsite. It was mostly downhill. I was able to, much to my surprise, ride most of it. 


The track popped out onto a sealed road. Gotta say, I was thrilled! It was along the road that I noticed my headlight and taillight were off. They wouldn’t turn on. I looked at the connectors to the dynamo hub. They were off. It’s not too surprising considering all the branches that got caught in the wheels. I reconnected them, and the lights work fine.


Unfortunately, the sealed road only lasted a short 2kms. Back on a dirt track, I came to another downed tree. I was able to bushwhack around it. It was along this section that the rain started. I put my hood up (DaBrim is currently stowed on the back rack). I’m so glad I have that hood. My head actually stayed dry today!


The rain continued in various intensities for quite awhile. Then there was some blue sky! But, then there was more rain. But then, more blue sky! But, you guessed it, more rain. The only good thing about the rain was that it made the sand sections (and there were many) rideable. 


It’s been since the day I left Fraser Range Station that I’ve seen kangaroos. Just to remind me I’m still in Australia, I saw two kangaroos today! 


Speaking of still being in Australia, as of today, I’ve been here for three months. I have exactly one more month to go. 


Tonight’s campsite is called Booner Mundak. It means wild country, or bush. It is similar to last nights campsite, but a little bit more rustic in that the floor in the hut is dirt instead of wood slats. It was still a most welcome sight. I’ve, once again, put just my sleeping pad and bag on my tent footprint, and left the tent in the bag. I was plenty warm enough last night. My clothes are hanging all over to try and dry them (from sweating in my rain gear). 


Tomorrow I plan to get to Walpole. From Walpole, it’s supposed to get easier. Although, today was mostly dirt/sand road, it wasn’t easy. I did only have to get off and push twice. Once because the road was too loose with rocks, and the other was after going across the Kent River Bridge (a swinging bridge—I walked across straddling Tilmann as it was too narrow to walk beside him). 


Speaking of Tilmann, he’s doing great! He got dirtier than he’s ever been. I adjusted his brakes again today when I finished. I took the broom they have in the campsite and brushed off as much of the dirt as I could. He feels better, I’m sure! 


I have no idea what tomorrow’s weather is supposed to be, but it is raining again right now. Probably going to be another day of full rain gear...*sigh*.


The tree blocking the path to the campsite


Rain and hills


Swinging bridge


Bed for the night


June 11: MB Day 4-A Walk Among the Treetops


Today started out with no rain, and mostly downhill. Sadly, it didn’t stay that way. Right off the bat I saw three kangaroos. When I was on the Nullarbor, I would see the kangaroos off in the scrub/bush. Here, I see them because they are bouncing across the road, or just to the side. There’s too much trees and bush to spot them otherwise.


It rained off and on throughout the night last night. Like I mentioned before, the rain is good in that it packs down the sand. Today, there was a lot of sand. I can’t imagine riding through it if it was dry. Well, I probably wouldn’t be riding through it. I’d be pushing. But, with it nice and wet, it’s easy.


I popped out to a main road, but only to cross it and get back on the dirt. I came to a very steep hill. It was really hard to even push Tilmann. I had to take frequent breaks to rest my arms. It was very hard! 


After the steep steep hill, I worked my way down to another sealed road. This was the turn to go to the Treetop Walk. It was just .7km off route. It costs to do the walk, but it was worth it. They built this walkway going up into the canopy of the Tingle Trees. Tingles are a variety of Eucalyptus. They are big trees in that they have shallow root systems, so they buttress their trunks. They are big in girth more than height. But, the walkway went pretty high. It was cool because in the breeze, the walkway swayed slightly. I was thinking it must be what it would feel like to be a tree in the wind. 


After the treetop walk, I went through the “Ancient Empire”. This was on the forest floor. The walk showcased some of the massive Tingle Trees. There was one called Grandma Tingle. The base of the tree looks like an old woman’s face.


There were also hollowed out trunks, mostly from fire. But, the tree is still alive. There were also She Oak Karri trees. The bark is a cork type bark. The trunks were interesting.


Since I still had more than half my days distance to go, I hopped back on Tilmann (at least I was able to ditch my two days worth of trash). I had taken my rain gear off once I was warm. Then, of course, it started to rain. Rain gear back on. Then off, then on...it was annoying. You might think I should have just kept it on, but with all the climbing, I was too hot (even though the day was rather cool). 


On the outskirts of Walpole (my destination for today), there was a less than fun section of singletrack. There were so many branches. I will say, I’m getting much braver at running over them. I’ve even “bunny hopped” a couple (if that’s even possible on Tilmann—might just be my imagination).


The only caravan parks in Walpole are not really in Walpole. I’m staying at the YHA hostel. It’s right in town. I’ve resupplied my food for the next couple of days until the next town, and am doing laundry(everything, with the last days of rain, is damp). It will be good to have clean and dry clothes.


Now I think I will go find me some dinner...


Ah...some civilization!


Well packed wet sand road


Treetop Walk


Waaaay down!


The highest point


Grandma Tingle


Able to walk through this one


She Oak Karri tree


The burls on this Tingle look like a bear or a dog























1 comment:

CathieG said...

My mother spent most of her childhood being raised on a farm between Denmark and Walpole. The kids used to travel to the Tingledale School through the tingle forrest. She had many wonderful memories of her childhood spent down there.