Saturday, June 23, 2018

June 23: Starting With a Bang, Finishing With a Quiz, and a Visit to Perth Inbetween

A couple of days ago when we did our Tour d’ Freo, we went to the Round House (where we could see the art instillation). They shoot off the cannon everyday at 1:00 sharp. We had missed it, but Cathie spoke to the guide, and he said they allowed honorary gunners. Cathie emailed the right people, and they said I could do it.

The email.

So, today was the day! We got to the roundhouse, and there was this sign that had my name on it!

They even spelled my name right!

We went around to the cannon, and checked in with Shirley, the Head Gunner. She gave me the lowdown on what I would be doing. About ten minutes to 1:00, Shirley gave a talk about the history of the Timeball and the Gun. Briefly, the Timeball and Gun provided a method for the ships to obtain an accurate time to make sure their Chronometers were accurate. The gun was the sound signal, and the Timeball gave a visual signal.

Learning the drill

Shirley introduced me as the Honorary Gunner. When it was time, we all counted down from 10. When we got to zero, instead of saying zero, we said BANG. At BANG, I pushed the red button, and the cannon fired.

BANG!

Afterward, I got a certificate signed by Shirley. Later we went back into the Round House itself. Karen, the guide in the Round House, got the key to the stock and gave me a card for my crime of “assault and ravishing” with a sentence of 4 months in the stocks (coincidentally, I will be in Australia for exactly 4 months).

Being punished


Cathie in the ol’ ball and chain

It was a great experience and a ton of fun. Thanks go to Cathie for making it all happen!

After the Round House, Cathie said next we were going to Perth! I hadn’t actually been to the city yet. We parked on the south shore of the Swan River, and walked to the ferry that went across the river to Elizabeth Quay. On our way to the ferry we had great views of the city and a couple of birds too.

They don’t call it the Swan River for nothin’!

“How are my tan lines looking?”

Perth skyline

When we were waiting for the ferry, I saw a disturbance in the water. Just then, a dolphin surfaced! I managed to get a couple of photos.

Not the best photo, but you can tell it’s a dolphin

There it is again!

At Elizabeth Quay there was a “Winter Festival” (keep in mind it was about 70 degrees today—I was in short sleeves). There was an ice rink, an ice slide, and these.

Frozen potty shacks!

The little ones were riding kangaroos!

Here’s a few more photos from the Quay.



Jared and a Black Swan

From the pedestrian bridge

There was a little boy who was playing around on this. He finally went around behind and I was able to get the photo.

Cool art.

We caught the ferry back to the south shore. Walking back to the car, we saw more birds.



See the second one?

In the tree too!

Green rosella...I think.

We had to hurry home because we we going to Quiz Night! There were 12 tables of 8 people. We had a full table with Cathie, Jared, Judy, Judy’s son, Michael, Judy’s mom, Shirley, and friends of Cathy, Bernadette and Mark. We played 8 rounds of various categories. I have to say I was not much help on the categories about most things Australian. I thought I would do great on the Australian Fauna category, afterall, I’ve sure seen a lot! But, what did we have to do? Give the scientific name for the animals! Sheesh! Well, needless to say, we didn’t really finish well. However, in the “Famous People” category, we got all 10 questions correct! It was all in good fun, though. 

Once again, we have packed the day full! It was a totally awesome day!























No comments: